We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route from Vancouver to Lake Louise

JFT
Illinois
12 posts
Save Topic
Best Route from Vancouver to Lake Louise

We (2 Adults) will be traveling from Seattle to the Skoki Lodge at the end of August.

We will be driving and looking for the best quickest route to get their. I will be arriving in Seattle on the Thursday 25th in the evening and staying with friends in Bellingham WA that night. We have to be at the Whiskeyjack Lodge on Sunday at 9:30 AM. We will be at the lodge for 2 nights leaving their on Tuesday th 30th. We have until Sunday the 4th. So we want to take some time going back to Seattle after we leave the lodge.

Looking for a place to white water raft and rock climb between Banff and Seattle. Looking for suggestions the best place and or outfitter to do this.

Thank You

Mentioned in this post
Skoki Lodge
Skoki Lodge
106 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route from Vancouver to Lake Louise

I'm sorry, JFT, I'm confused.

If I understand you correctly, you'll be departing Bellingham on Friday, August 26th, and you must be at Whiskey Jack Lodge on Sunday morning, August 28th.

I didn't know where Whiskey Jack Lodge was, so I did an Internet search for it. The only properties I found that had that name were a wilderness hotel and a day lodge. Maybe they're one and the same place. I don't know.

What do Skoki Lodge and Whiskey Jack Lodge have to do with each other?

Oh, I get it. Is Skoki Lodge one of those backcountry lodges to which you are not allowed to drive a private vehicle? Perhaps you have to meet at a pre-appointed spot, and maybe that pre-appointed spot is Whiskey Jack Lodge. So you won't be staying at Whiskey Jack. You'll just meet the rest of your party, and carry on from there. Well that at least is what I'm guessing you mean.

Assuming I'm correct, that means you can't afford to stay far from Lake Louise on the night of Saturday, August 27th -- ideally no more than an hour away I would think. So you'd probably want to stay in a place that is roughly half way between Bellingham and Lake Louise on Friday night, August 26th.

The shortest way would be to drive roughly north from Bellingham till you crossed the U.S.-Canada border. Then you would turn east to Chilliwack and Hope, BC. At Hope you would turn northeast onto the Coquihalla (toll) Highway, also known as Hwy #5. At Kamloops you would turn east onto the TransCanada Highway (Hwy #1) and drive through Salmon Arm, Revelstoke, and Golden, BC, before crossing the BC-Alberta border just before Lake Louise.

However, the Coquihalla Highway, while it is the quickest route and while it does provide you with pleasant enough scenery, is not the most scenic route. It would be prettier to turn east onto Hwy #3 at Hope and drive through Manning Provincial Park to Princeton, BC. From there you could drive to Penticton or Kelowna in the Okanagan Valley. Either of them would make suitable overnight stops for Fri 26th.

Then on Sat 27th, you could drive up through Vernon to Salmon Arm, then east to Sicamous, Revelstoke and Golden, BC. Golden is an hour west of Lake Louise, so you could take your choice of spending the night there or going all the way to Lake Louise.

I'll address your other questions in another post.

Mentioned in this post
Skoki Lodge
Skoki Lodge
106 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,380 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Bellingham
Bellingham
Washington
Canada
Canada
North America
Chilliwack
Chilliwack
British Columbia, Canada
Kamloops
Kamloops
British Columbia, Canada
Salmon Arm
Salmon Arm
British Columbia, Canada
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Golden
Golden
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Alberta
Alberta
Canada
Penticton
Penticton
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Kelowna
Kelowna
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Okanagan Valley
Okanagan Valley
British Columbia, Canada
Vernon
Vernon
Okanagan Valley, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route from Vancouver to Lake Louise

One point about making it to your 9.30 a.m. appointment on time on Sun 28th. You'll cross from the Pacific to the Mountain Time Zone between Revelstoke and Golden, BC, so be sure to put your watch ahead an hour.

Anyway, when it comes to your return journey to Seattle, you could return by a relatively southerly route. The route I'm visualizing goes down Hwy #93 through Radium, Fairmont and Cranbrook, BC. If you went by that route, you could try to do white water rafting on the Kicking Horse River near Golden. As I think jerm warned you in another thread, the river may be pretty low that late in the season.

You could then continue to Nelson, BC. I've seen on the Internet that there are rock climbing companies around there, although I don't have any personal experience of them.

After Nelson, you could drive south to Spokane, WA and from there drive west to Seattle.

I'll suggest a more northerly return route in the next post.

Mentioned in this post
Revelstoke
Revelstoke
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Golden
Golden
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Nelson
Nelson
Kootenay Rockies, Canada
Spokane
Spokane
Washington
JFT
Illinois
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route from Vancouver to Lake Louise

Thank you Judy

You are right we meet at the Wiskyjack

The cost is not a question more not knowing the best way to accomplish this, since I have never traveled in this area before. I am glad you mentioned the time change did not know about that. Looking at golden for the Sunday night in the Golden rim a good place sounds like it has good reviews.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route from Vancouver to Lake Louise

When you leave Lake Louise, you could head north on the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93) towards Jasper. That is a very scenic route.

Jasper is another place that offers white water rafting although, again, I don't know what the condition of the rivers will be.

You can go rock climbing in Jasper National Park, but I've never done it.

After you leave Jasper, you could drive west and southwest through Valemount to Clearwater. At Clearwater it would be nice to take a detour into Wells Gray Provincial Park to see Helmcken Falls. After that you could continue to Kamloops. That probably would be a suitable place for an overnight stop.

From Kamloops you could drive west to Cache Creek and then south to Lytton and Hope. On that southward leg of the journey you would drive through the Fraser River Canyon where you could ride the "Hell's Gate" air tram if you wished.

Actually I've read that the white water rafting on or near the Fraser River is even better than that on the Kicking Horse River, but I have no experience of it myself.

Although both return routes that I've provided to you have their charms, I think Jasper is very special, so I would favour it.

If you do white water rafting in Jasper, you could spend the nights of Aug 30th, Aug 31, Sep 1st and Sep 2nd. Then you could stay in Kamloops on Sep 3rd and get back to Seattle by the evening of Sep 4th.

If you do your white water rafting on or near the Fraser River, you might stay in Jasper on Aug 30, Aug 31st and Sep 1st. then you might move on to Kamloops for the night of Sep 2nd, stop somewhere else on Sep 3rd, and finally make your way to Seattle on Sep 4th.

If you stop at the scenic look out points on the Icefields Parkway, it'll take you the better part of the day to reach Jasper, so don't count on Aug 30th to do any activities based out of Jasper.

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
5,380 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park
Canadian Rockies, Canada