We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

banff hiking

Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
banff hiking

My husband and I will be staying at the Ptfarmigan two nights end of Aug.- can anyone tell me about where to start off hiking together from there without having to get a taxi etc. or a car to drive first--ya know take a picnic go off for a day etc. and any info. on the hotel would be appreciated. Can we walk to Banff Springs from there? Thanks-Christy

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: banff hiking

Hello piersol,

I don't know how much of the Rockies you will have seen before arriving in Banff and how much of them you will see after leaving Banff. However, my general opinion is that it would be a tragic waste of time to stay in or even near Banff townsite when you could be using that time to drive 50 minutes to Moraine Lake, which I regard to be the jewel in the crown.

If you're willing and able to rent a car, that is by far the best way of getting around the Rockies. Even if you want to hike, you have so many more choices if you have a car with which to reach a trailhead.

If for some reason you have to be without a car, you could use Giddy Goat Adventures to get from Banff to Lake Louise, etc.

Here is a discussion thread in which the logistics were explained to another poster:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k19835…

Hope that helps.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Moraine Lake
Moraine Lake
4,536 Reviews
Lake Louise, Canada
Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: banff hiking

Oops, I've noticed that you provided another name other than your online name -- Christy.

And oops again, forgot to answer this question:

>>>Can we walk to Banff Springs from there?<<<

The answer is yes.

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Level Contributor
44 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: banff hiking

Thanks for answering us. We will already have been to Lake Louise so already know how beautiful the area is and so glad we will see it. By the time we get to Banff just wanted to stop a few days and hike and slow down.Will go to the tourist information site and ask also. You are always informative. Thanks.- Piersol

Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Toronto
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: banff hiking

Oh lucky, lucky you! Calgary is my hometown, and I have spent much time in Banff. Yes you can walk to The Springs from anywhere in Banff, should take you about 30 minutes depending on your speed.

The Ptarmigan Inn should be quite nice, and probably about a 10 minute walk to the main strip of downtown.

http://www.bestofbanff.com/bpi/

You could do the Cave & Basin and Upper hotsprings loop.

I also love following the trials along the Bow River, take in either direction. A good jumping off point is at the bridge over the Bow River from either end, walk down to water level and path .... go one way you will hit Bow falls, the other way will take you to smaller trails through the forests.

Feel free to wander, just do not approach wild life, those darn elk look harmless, and lovely, but I wouldn't want one to charge.

Or head up Tunnel Mountain road, there are neat hikes that discover hoodoo's up there.

You will see many trail head markers all over the area that give you distances in km, and great mountain splendor and photo op's where ever you go. Most locals will greet you openly on the trails with a hearty hello, and are very keen to sharing favorite spots and walks!

Though a bit pricey... my absolute favorite place for dinner is "The Grizzly House". Yes there are nicer places in Banff, and with better food, but this fondue house has looked exactly the same since I was five... very, very 70's

First Nations/ Trappers vibe complete with Totem pole inside and phones at every table. I like table 29 or 26 best! If you eat meat splurge and have the full dinner will come with a great salad, a cheese fondue then beef , followed by a chocolate fondue for dessert.

Also quite partial to "Magpie & Stump" and The Rose and Crown.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Tunnel Mountain Resort
Tunnel Mountain Resort
1,189 Reviews
Banff, Canada