We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just come back from Banff

Which Banff hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just come back from Banff

Hi,

My holiday is over :-(

Banf was great very cold but a few warmish days :-)

Had a great holiday but was sad to see Craigs diner is in the process of becoming a hotel :-(

Caribou Lodge was great again, hotel staff there are fab (and the Kegs)

We did a few trips - night walk at Lake Minniwanka (great stuff). The bloke told us all to turn our head lights off and basically walked over the frozen lake in the dark. We all stood in a big circle on the lake and listened to the sound of nothing - I never imagined the world could be so peacefull!!

We also did Lake Louise and the Icefields and the morning Wildlife tour - all through Discover Banff Tours.

We hope to be back next year all being well but fancy seeing Banff with no snow - when is the best time to see this out of the main season please?

Thanks and speak soon guys / Gals

P.S Thanks to you everyone that advised us on whats what - you helped in us having a wonderfull holiday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,784 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just come back from Banff

I'm so glad you had a great time, Neil!

Hard to know what to advise re coming here outside the main season but without snow. High season really runs from the Victoria Day weekend in late May to the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend in mid-October, and anytime outside of that it is quite possible to encounter snow.

I guess your best bet would be the week before the May long weekend. We often get lovely warm sunny weather then -- but snow is always possible, so no guarantees!

London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just come back from Banff

Hi Banff,

In truth, cold and snow dont bother us - It would be nice to see Banff and the lakes not frozen etc. We have only ever seen Banff white and it would be nice to see it with no / little snow (still jetlagged so if this dont make sense - sorry lol)

We have talked about seeing Jasper next time - rough plan is - Maybe few nights in Vancouver, get to Jasper then travel to Banff

A R
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
248 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just come back from Banff

Thanks for giving us a report of your Banff vacation. I always love to read how others did during their visit.

We are just counting the days until we are there, and hoping to still find a snowy Banff and LL early April.

Welcome back!

London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just come back from Banff

Hi,

Wish I was'nt back lol....

It snowed basically every day we was there but come family weekend the snow on the roads and side walk were just slosh. Ever time a motor went pass us, we got slopped lol.

Family day was not as bad as I expected. Early evenings were busy but not bad when going out for a meal.

We saw a load of Elk up tunnel mountain, we walked from Tunnel Mountain through the forest back to Banff, certainly an experience, it was very windy but great!!

Benfleet,essex
Level Contributor
192 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just come back from Banff

Nice report Neilrufc

Wife and I are off in late may from Vancouver then onto Jasper,icefields,Banff,Calgary still looking on where to stay any tips We are first timers to Canada really looking forward to vacation

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,089 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just come back from Banff

Neilrufc,

Thanks so much for letting us know how your trip went!

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just come back from Banff

Many thanks for the feedback, neilrufc. Glad to hear you had a good time.

I personally like the Rockies best from mid June to the end of September.

Moraine Lake, which is gorgeous, usually is not yet looking its turquoise best at the beginning of June.

But if you started your trip in Vancouver and travelled to the Rockies, you could begin your trip in Vancouver earlier than mid-June. You could arrange things so that you could reach the Lake Louise / Moraine Lake area around mid-June.

As I said, September also is a lovely month in the Rockies.

Neither June nor September is super quiet. There are a fair number of visitors, but the mountain resorts towns are not as full in June and September as they are in July and August. So I feel that June and September are the best compromises. You get to see the crown jewels of the mountains, that is, the turquoise lakes, but tourism is not at its height.

London, Uk
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just come back from Banff

Acesue

Not far from you (as such), Im 10 mins other side of bridge.

I love the Caribou Lodge but heard the royal canadian is nice, depends on what you want really mate. The Caribou has a great website to look at. Can give you my email if you like or you me and can send you some great webpages on Banff.

This is a great forum for advise Acesue. The people here will really help you. I find few new friends on here too that live real local to me that love Banff lol

9. Re: Just come back from Banff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, August 27, 2009