We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lodging/Activity recommendations

Montana
Level Contributor
844 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lodging/Activity recommendations

Hello all

This is my first time on this forum. I have used TA forums successfully for trips to Cancun, Vegas and other destinations so I thought I would start here.

My family of four will be driving up from MT for a two night stay in the Banff area before heading to the Calgary Marriott for a conference in August of 2007. I am looking for recommendations for a mid to upper scale lodge or hotel in the area. My budget is probably centered around the $200 US per night range give or take. We have two children ages 5 and 9. Prefer a mountain setting rather than downtown type area, but easy access to town.

Also, as I am just starting my research, any insights regargding the hot pools and other activies in the area that are a must do would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lodging/Activity recommendations

I have stayed at the Banff Springs,Brewster Lodge, the Rundelstone Lodge,Hidden Ridge,Chateau Lake Louise and the Moraine Lake Lodge(closed in the winter. The best place by far is Storm Mountain Lodge. Located between Banff and Lake Louise, it is a restored CP Camp. It has a main lodge with great dining(The premiers of canada have twice held meetings here.) an individual log cabins with bathroom and fireplaces. We were ther at Christmas and while Banff has little snow, Storm Mountain had four feet on the ground. It furfills your prerequisite of being under $200/nite. I love the place. If you want more info write to me at:

edlangrall@aol.com

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lodging/Activity recommendations

Hi cancun41,

EdLangrall has given you good information.

You say you have used TripAdvisor successfully for other trips, but I wonder if you are aware of TripAdvisor's "Inside Pages." They contain heaps of information on each destination, and they are divided into easy to navigate pages on topics that are relevant to the area.

If you go to the Search box near the top left hand corner of the TA screen and type "Inside Calgary" (or "Inside Whatever"), you will reach the Insde Pages for your desired destination.

If you want Inside Pages for the Canadian Rockies, the best thing to do is to search for Inside Banff National Park. Since TA does not have an Inside Canadian Rockies section, Inside Banff National Park effectively serves that role.

If one of you parents is free in Calgary while the other one is attending the conference, the free parent may want to take the children on a day trip to the Tyrrell Museum in Drumheller. The dinosaur skeletons there are amazing. All of the guests whom we have take to the Tyrrell -- but most especially children -- have loved the museum. As it happens, there was a discussion thread about it just this morning:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154913-i285-k9331…

3. Re: Lodging/Activity recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:17 am, August 19, 2009