We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bookstores, hikes, last minute details

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
273 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
bookstores, hikes, last minute details

We leave on Friday! So excited!

Where is a good bookstore/hiking store in Lake Louise or Banff ?

or best place to get trail guides/books etc.

I think Im going to be able to get the bus to Lake O'Hara

and am wondering how much time to spend. should I take the first bus out and last bus back? how much time to drive from Chateau LL to pick up bus and take bus in etc?

If anyone want to reccomend a little itinerary, we plan to roughly do the following :

Yoho/Lake O'hara/ take you to, the Spiral Tunnel, Takakkaw Falls, the Natural Bridge, and Emerald Lake (1-day?)

Icefields/Peyto etc (what not to miss?)(1-day)

Lake Louise/Moraine Lake (what not to miss?)

(1-day)

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bookstores, hikes, last minute details

>>>>>>Where is a good bookstore/hiking store in Lake Louise or Banff ? or best place to get trail guides/books etc.<<<<<<

There are some general Rockies guidebooks and hiking guides at Coles Bookstore on the Departures Level at Calgary Airport.

But I believe you would find an even bigger selection at Banff Book & Art Den at 94 Banff Avenue in the Town of Banff.

>>>>>>should I take the first bus out and last bus back?<<<<<<

If you don’t plan to spend a substantial part of your day in the Lake O’Hara area, it is not worth the expense of the bus. Also, I think it’s poor etiquette to use up one of the precious seats that are set aside for day trippers if you are not serious about seeing the area. Just my personal opinion.

More in next post ................

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bookstores, hikes, last minute details

>>>>>>how much time to drive from Chateau LL to pick up bus and take bus in etc?<<<<<<

I would say 45 minutes. The drive to the bus stop would be 10 minutes, 15 minutes at the absolute outside. But you have to be there 30 minutes before departure, otherwise you might lose your spot on the bus. It takes a bit of time to load up the campers and their camping gear. In that sense it’s a bit like a plane ride, although not as extreme. You do not show up at the airport at the time that your plane takes off. You have to check in earlier than that.

>>>>>>If anyone want to reccomend a little itinerary, we plan to roughly do the following<<<<<<

>>>>>>Yoho/Lake O'hara/ take you to, the Spiral Tunnel, Takakkaw Falls, the Natural Bridge, and Emerald Lake (1-day?)<<<<<<

The stop at the Spiral Tunnel Viewing Point will take AT LEAST half an hour. The minimal amount of time you need to drive to Tak Falls, look at the falls, and drive back to the main road is an hour. The minimal amount of time you need to drive off the main road, see the natural bridge and Emerald Lake, and drive back to the main road is 1 hour, maybe even 1.5 hours. And that’s not counting the optional 2-hour walk around the shore of Emerald Lake. I would not try to combine these things with Lake O’Hara (although they are located close to the departure point for the Lake O’Hara bus). I would include them on the Moraine Lake / Lake Louise day.

More in next post .............

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bookstores, hikes, last minute details

>>>>>>Icefields/Peyto etc (what not to miss?)(1-day)<<<<<<

I don’t know if you’ll be visiting Jasper and stopping at the scenic lookout points between Lake Louise and Jasper or if you’ll be doing it as a day trip, starting and ending the day in Lake Louise.

If you drive from Lake Louise all the way to Jasper, the minimal stops are Peyto Lake, Columbia Icefields, Sunwapta Falls, Athabasca Falls. Many visitors like to ride the Ice Explorer onto the Athabasca Glacier at the Columbia Icefields. To that list I would highly recommend a visit to Mistaya Canyon.

If you are doing it as a day trip, drive as far as feels comfortable before turning around (factoring in that you still have the return drive ahead of you). At a minimum you should be able to fit in Peyto Lake, Columbia Icefields (with optional Ice Explorer ride) and Sunwapta Falls.

>>>>>>Lake Louise/Moraine Lake (what not to miss?) (1-day)<<<<<<<<

Well there are the lakes themselves. At Moraine Lake be sure to walk to the top of the pile of rocks at the north end of the lake. That spot provides by far the best view. Also walk the lakeshore path.

At Lake Louise, walk the lakeshore path at a minimum. You would get a better view if you were willing to hike uphill for a little under a mile to Fairview Lookout.

The visits to these two lakes, combined, occupy about half a day.

You can spend the other half of the day doing one of the beautiful hikes in the Moraine Lake / Lake Louise area. A popular one is the Plain of Six Glaciers hike, which departs from Lake Louise.

Alternatively, if you do not want to hike, you can spend the other half of this day visiting the Spiral Tunnel Viewing Point, Takakkaw Falls, the natural bridge over the Kicking Horse River and Emerald Lake.

Hope that helps.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bookstores, hikes, last minute details

Postscript. I mentioned the Spiral Tunnel Viewing Point, as if there was only one. In fact there are two.

One of them is a pull out located just off the TransCanada Highway, on your right if you're driving westwards from Lake Louise towards the turn off to Takakkaw Falls.

The other is on Yoho Valley Road, the side road that leads to Takakkaw Falls.

The main one is the one just off the TransCanada Highway. It is the one that has the display that explains the layout of the spiral tunnels and how they work.

Jasper, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jasper, Jasper National Park, Canadian Rockies
Level Contributor
20,035 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bookstores, hikes, last minute details

For park-related books (hiking & nature guides etc.), I would recommend the Friends of Banff. They are a non-profit organization that exists to support the park. The profits from their sales operations go back into programs etc. They operate shops in both the Banff and Lake Louise Visitor Centres.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bookstores, hikes, last minute details

What a great idea, krp329. I added info on the books page of the Inside Page about Banff National Park:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154910-c13638/Banff-…

7. Re: bookstores, hikes, last minute details

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, August 21, 2009