We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Banff & Jasper National Parks and Calgary Stampede

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
263 reviews
Save Topic
Banff & Jasper National Parks and Calgary Stampede

My wife and I are going to the Calgary Stampede next July. We will rent a full size car and will be staying at the Marriott for three nights. We intend to go to the evening show one night the rodeo one day, and a concert. We then will be going to Lake Louise and will be staying at the Paradise Lodge and Bungalows in a 1 bedroom cabin with mountain view and balcony for 7 nights. We are easy to moderate hikers. We do not have a problem starting early and going all day. I would like suggestions on what to see and do and restaurant ideas. I don't have a tight budget but also don't want to throw money away. Thanks in advance.

calgary
Level Contributor
3,952 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Banff & Jasper National Parks and Calgary Stampede

Don't bother renting the car for your time in Calgary, you can get everywhere by public transport. Pick it up when you're ready to head to the mountains.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Banff & Jasper National Parks and Calgary Stampede

thanks

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,100 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Banff & Jasper National Parks and Calgary Stampede

I'll second Cruiseryyc's opinion on the car. If you had a car, you'd find that parking at the Stampede grounds is expensive and not as convenient as the C-Train (tram).

For more about the Stampede, see this TripAdvisor Traveller Article on the Stampede for first-time visitors:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-d155232/Calga…

Traveller Articles are written by TA members like you and me, in response to popular forum questions.

This Traveller Article lists the "must-sees" of the Canadian Rockies:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154913-d155232/Calga…

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
287 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Banff & Jasper National Parks and Calgary Stampede

There are great hikes in the Lake Louise area such as the Lake Agnes Teahouse hike. Take a look at the hiking section on the Banff National Park website. They do a really great job ranking the difficulty of the hikes and providing other information such as distance and elevation gain.

pc.gc.ca/eng/…randonee-hiking.aspx

In the Lake Louise area there are horseback riding tours and the ski hill is open for gondola-sight seeing tours.

http://www.lakelouisegondola.com/

banfflakelouise.com/Things-To-Do/Summer-Adve…

In the Banff area there is also a sight-seeing gondola and hot springs at Sulphur Mountain (you can also hike this instead of taking the Gondola). There are lots of restaurants that will fit different budgets and tastes. There is a nice park by the river to quietly sit in and enjoy the mountains...

Since you are there for a week, you might be interested in doing some day trips such as to Radium, B.C. for the hot springs or drive part of the icefields parkway to see the athabasca glacier (tours are available or you can just drive on your own and walk up to the base of the glacier).

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Banff & Jasper National Parks and Calgary Stampede

Thanks

6. Re: Banff & Jasper National Parks and Calgary Stampede

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 29, 2014