We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rockies Itinerary

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Rockies Itinerary

We are planning a trip to Canada to see a relative in Edmonton and would like to combine it with a trip to Western Canada/Rockies.

Lots of research later had a plan to fly into Vancouver and spend a few days there to get over Jetlag (will be arriving from UK) then take "Canadian" train to Edmonton; spend 2 days there with family then drive through Rockies, then fly from Calgary to either LAX or SFO and home (with maybe a couple of days on beach before we leave

I am trying to come up with a trip thay can include Edmonton and Rockies without spending too long in car back and forth (hence Canadian as opposed to Rocky Mountaineer where I would have to drive from Jasper to Edmonton and back)

I know there is lots around Banff (cable car and Lake Louise) and Icefields are spectacular, so trying to work out how many night to stay where Is there much around Jasper or is a night sufficient break from the drive from Edmonton to Icefields

We have a 9 year old daughter so do not want to spend every cooped up for too long

Suggestions gratefully received

We need to fly in/out of major hub eg LAS/SFO/YVR

Thoughts:

2 Days Vancouver

1 Day Train

2 Days Edmonton

1 Day Jasper

2 Banff

1 Day Calgary to LA

2 Days beach

Home

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,629 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rockies Itinerary

Welcome to TripAdvisor, Howie1968!

I'm going to assume that flying into Edmonton directly, or from Vancouver to Edmonton, is not an option because someone in your party has a fear of flying, and will only fly (reluctantly) into major centers like LAX, SFO, or YVR. If that's not the case, then I would strongly recommend flying into Edmonton or Calgary rather than taking the train, as it will save you about 10 hours of valuable holiday time that would otherwise be spent getting to Edmonton from Vancouver, as well as reducing your jet lag by an hour.

So, getting on to your proposed itinerary:

I'd suggest reducing your time in Vancouver to 1 day; since you're not going to be driving to Edmonton, it doesn't matter if you spend some of your jetlagged time on the train rather than in Vancouver.

You don't have to rent a car to get from Edmonton to Jasper, if you don't want to. Sun Dog Tours operates a shuttle service departing from the airport and from West Edmonton Mall: www.sundogtours.com/airport_shuttle.php

However, if you want to rent a car once you're in Jasper, be aware that there are only four car rental companies that have offices there:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154918-s304/Jasper:A…

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
29,810 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rockies Itinerary

Overall, I advise pretty heavily in favour of less rushing around 'collecting trophies' as you pop into one destination after another with barely enough time to buy a t-shirt before moving on to the next stop.

I'm counting 11 days on the ground. Given that the usual recommendation for the Rockies is a minimum of 5 days, with 7 being a better option, and you need to spend 2 days with the relatives in Edmonton, that only leaves 4 days to play with.

So, 2 Edmonton, 2 Jasper and 3 Banff for a start.

Personally, I think trying to race around trying to cram in Vancouver and California in this trip is...well, ill-advised would be the polite way to put it. Its very easy to get caught up thinking "We're never going to have the money to go back and we're going to have to see it all this time." That thinking drives you crazy. If, rather you try to convince yourself that you will have the money to come back and do the rest of it on another trip, then you can relax and just focus on spending the time you need to spend on this trip.

With the remaining few days, I would suggest that you either a) do a Edmonton to Edmonton loop that takes in a bit of BC and some additional areas in Alberta, with flights in and out of Edmonton. or b) choose only one secondary stop (either Vancouver or California) and fly between there and Edmonton for the Rockies part of your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Banff
Banff
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
64,268 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rockies Itinerary

I am wondering if you are trying to please everyone with this itinerary. And it looks as though you have two weeks or 13 nights? And when are you coming? My suggestion would be:

Arrive Calgary, rent a car and drive immediately, 2 hours to

3 nights Banff

One full day on the Icefields Parkway to

2 nights Jasper

3 nights (2 full days) Edmonton

Return car and fly to

3 nights Vancouver

Fly to California to

3 nights

I would even go so far as to drop California.

3 nights Banff - with side trips, e.g. Lake Louise

3 nights Jasper - with possibly a half day trip west to Mt Robson

3 nights Edmonton

4 nights Vancouver

Vancouver has 4-5 terrific beaches. It depends on when you are coming. Plenty to do in Vancouver for 4 nights. My latter itinerary would give you some real time to experience each location.

Have a look at the UK company Canadian Affair for one way rentals without the drop fee.

www.canadianaffair.com

Have a look at the points of interest on the Icefields Parkway to see why it is recommended to take a full day. The following website contains a fuzzy image. Look underneath for the PDF link to a legible version.

pc.gc.ca/eng/…visit38.aspx

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed this is your first post, so welcome to the forums.

Edited: 6:57 pm, May 12, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Banff
Banff
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Vancouver
Vancouver
British Columbia, Canada
Lake Louise
Lake Louise
4. Re: Rockies Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 14, 2014