We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

edge of nowhere
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

A few people our honey moon itinerary is too much for 2 week and will be spening all the time driving what do you think?

fly into Calgary

Banff 3nights

Jasper 2

Clearwater 1

ranch at Kamllops 1

Harrison hot springs 1

Victoria 2

Vancouver 4

Any sugestions for alternatives? any help would be greatly received.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

Hello meezu,

Yes, I agree with what other people have told you. While your itinerary is feasible if you want to do a sort of marathon trip, I believe the schedule you've laid out is too busy for a honeymoon. I agree with the advice that cabinman gave you in this thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154922-i80-k37175…

Something you could consider doing is a circular trip that starts in Vancouver. After spending a few days there you could drive a couple of hours to Whistler, and spend a few days there. Then you could drive back down to Horseshoe Bay in West Vancouver and catch the ferry over to Nanaimo. From Nanaimo you could drive to the Uncluelet / Tofino area and surf, hike in old growth temperate rainforests, go whale watching, etc., for a few days. Then you could make your way down to the SE end of the island to Victoria for a few days. Finally you could catch the ferry back to the mainland, turn in your rental car, and fly home.

That circular drive would allow you to enjoy mountains as well as the coast. It would give you a balance between urban and wilderness spaces.

Still another alternative would be to fly into and out of Calgary and visit Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and Waterton Lakes National Park.

I suggest you visit the west coast or the Canadian Rockies but not both.

Hope that helps.

edge of nowhere
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

Thanks for your help. i think we may change our plans. i like the sound of the vancouver circular trip or we may leave Canada for another holiday. It is our honeymoon and we do want it to be relaxing.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
120 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

Congratulations to you and your fiance, meezu!

If you still want to visit the Canadian Rockies, here are some ideas. Pick a few places and stay 3 days at each.

Banff is a one hour drive from Calgary. It is beautiful but quite crowded in July and August. Lots of hotels in every price range. Spend a day at Lake Louise, hike at Moraine Lake, further up the mountain.

I would recommend visiting Kananaskis Country, south of Highway 1, on Highway 40. There are great camping areas, 2 nice hotels, great hiking, trail riding, biking trails. It is very un-touristy and a great nature experience. Stay for several days to explore.

You can drive from there south to Waterton Lakes. You will probably see bears in Waterton National Park.

Or, from Banff, you could drive west to Radium Hot Springs (3 hours), a mountain town with lots of hotels, mineral springs pools. A little further south and west are Fairmont Hot Springs and Panorama, both resorts, beautiful scenery.

Also, from Banff, drive up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. Take all day and stop at the glaciers, beautiful lakes, waterfalls, so much to see. Jasper is less crowded than Banff, but has lots of hotels, restaurants, tourist services.

If you really want to get away from it all, drive west of Jasper to Miette Hot Springs (about one hour, down the highway and then up a twisty mountain road--very beautiful and safe). You will find small cabins, a HOT springs pool, great hiking up the Skyline Trail, and hardly any people, a few bighorn sheep.

I hope these suggestions are helpful.

England, United...
Level Contributor
281 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

I absolutely agree with the other posters, your itinerary is too busy, you need to bear mind that a one night stop anywhere means that you actually don't even spend one day in the place, and even a two night stop only gives you one whole day. We did a three week trip last summer and stayed in 11 places and that was too much. If you want to try and see a microcosm of what Canada and the Rockies have to offer then look at Judy's idea of Vancouver/Island and area

edge of nowhere
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

Thanks that has been most helpful. We are having a slight change of plan. Because we can't fly from our prefered airport (manchester)untill a week later and the only other airport (Gatwick) is a pain to get to, we have been thinking of going to Toronto to explore Ontario instead. What do you travellers think? Does Toronto and Ontario have alot to offer? What about flying to Toronto for a few days and then going to Vancouver for the rest of our trip? is this a stupid idea? Over to the experts!

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
379 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

I think it depends what you want to do on your trip. Toronto is a great city and there is lots to do and see. If it was me, however, I would do BC and/or Alberta becuase of the mountains, the ocean, lakes and Vancouver is a beautiful city. The west coast just strikes me as more of a "honeymoon destination."

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,014 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

If you go to Toronto, you're going to sacrifice the mountains, ocean, rainforests and scenery. Toronto is great for an urban destination, but is not known for its scenery. I agree with the previous poster that BC is more of a honeymoon destination... giving you some outstanding scenery you won't get elsewhere in Canada.

edge of nowhere
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: is our Honeymoon itinerary too busy

Thanks. I have been doing some searching on the web and have managed to get suitable flights to Vamcouver the day after our wedding. In light of your comments we are going to hang around Vancouver for a few days then do a loop taking in Whistler, and back round to Victoria and a final few days in Vancouver. Any suggestions on places to go? How long should we stay on Vancouver island?