We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop between Whistler and Calgary through Okenagan

UK
10 posts
Save Topic
Stop between Whistler and Calgary through Okenagan

We are travelling between Whistler and Calgary with our 16 year old son in august next year. Can anyone please recommend good but reasonably priced accommodation en route through the Okenagan.

Also, do you think we should stay for two or three days in the region?

Your help would be most appreciated thank you.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
7,305 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop between Whistler and Calgary through Okenagan

August is a prime month to be touring in the Okanagan, as it's the warmest in terms of temperatures (28-35 degrees Celsius, or about 90-100 degres F), and all the local fruit stands will be abundant with fresh, ripe fruit from the local orchards. The drive from Kelowna down to Penticton follows along Lake Okanagan, which is beautiful. There are dozens of wineries and fruit stands and orchards all along the drive. There's also plenty of beach access, which is fantastic in August. If you drive south of Penticton through to Oliver and down to Osoyoos, there are some more fantastic wineries, but what's really special about the southern end of the Okanagan is that it's also the beginning of Canada's only desert. Visit the Osoyoos Desert Centre if you decide to visit.

If you can, I would spend at least 2 nights in the Okanagan. Perhaps one night in the Kelowna area or the Penticton area, and another in Osoyoos.

I would *highly* recommend spending at least one night at The Observatory B&B in Osoyoos. It's at the top of Anarchist Mountain and looks out over Osoyoos Lake and the town. Jack Newton, who runs the B&B with his wife Alice, takes everyone into the observatory built into the roof of the B&B at 9pm so that you can look through the gigantic telescope at planets, binary stars, and even galaxies. In the morning, after breakfast, they take you again back to the Observatory to view the Sun through a filter on the telescope (you can see the solar flares and the Sun's corona). It's definitely a fun experience... not to mention, the view from the B&B is spectacular.

I should also mention, while it's no big deal, I thought I should mention that you posted this in the Alberta forums, but the Okanagan valley's in British Columbia. However, I'm sure a lot of Alberta experts will be able to help, as the Okanagan is a popular summer vacation destination for Albertans too!