We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving conditions in November

Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Driving conditions in November

We are an Australian family planning a trip to Alberta in mid November. We are undecided about whether to fly to Edmonton or Calgary(from Vancouver) or catch a train to Jasper. We want to see Jasper, Lake Louise, Banff and are still debating Edmonton (other than the mall we are not sure what else to do there). We are planning to hire a car and want to know is there an advantage in hiring a 4WD car when travelling in the mountains and considering the time of year? Hiring a 4WD is quite expensive but if it is safer we would be prepared to do so.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Driving conditions in November

It would take about 10 hours to drive from Vancouver to Banff with limited stops and clear highways. The days are getting short in November, so you'd have to get an early start, and you might miss some scenery going through Yoho and Banff NPs, as it will be getting dark by the time you get there. Staying in Revelstoke as Judy suggested would probably be a good idea. Similarly, it's possible to get from Jasper back to Vancouver in a long day, but might not be such a good plan at that time of year.

Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Driving conditions in November

Thanks JudyinCalagary,

I have read lots of your advice and you certainly have been a big help. We are going to catch up with a friend who lives in Squamish so we will visit Whistler with him. Other than that I think will stay a night each way and have 2 nights in Banff, 1 in Jasper, 1 in Edmonton (I have a 14 yr old daughter and I know we will enjoy the shopping challenge of the mall - if the weather is bad and something has to go- then that will)and then perhaps another night near Calgary. One of the things we were really keen to do was stay at a ranch so my daughter could do some horse riding. I think I have decided not to do this and perhaps do some riding in the National Parks in stead. Do you have any advice on this? Thanks again.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Driving conditions in November

>>>One of the things we were really keen to do was stay at a ranch so my daughter could do some horse riding. I think I have decided not to do this and perhaps do some riding in the National Parks in stead. Do you have any advice on this?<<<

Companies that offer horse riding, which Canadians call horseback riding, include Warner Guiding in Banff, Brewsters Stables in Lake Louise and Pyramid Stables in Jasper.

The only one of them that I've used myself was Brewsters, and that was not for horse(back) riding. Since it was between Christmas and New Year, we went on one of their horsedrawn sleigh rides.

Which brings me to another point. Most of the companies that offer horseback riding in the summer switch their services to horsedrawn sleigh rides in winter.

I don't know if horseback riding is available in November. If no one at TripAdvisor answers that question, I'm sure the relevant operators would be happy to answer.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Driving conditions in November

>>>do some riding in the National Parks<<<

Companies that offer horseback riding include Warner Guiding in Banff, Brewsters Stables in Lake Louise, and Pyramid Stables in Jasper.

During the winter those companies use their horses to operate horsedrawn sleigh rides.

Whether or not they offer horseback riding in November I don't know. If someone at TripAdvisor does not answer that question, I'm sure the relevant operators will be happy to answer.

Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Driving conditions in November

Thanks Judy,

I will do some research on the horseback riding. We are now able to leave around November 6 so that means it may be nicer weather. I guess we will be too early for a lot of the winter activities. The sleigh rides sound so lovely. Will we be too early for iceskating as well?