We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jasper to calgary

new jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
jasper to calgary

Hi.

We are taking a 2 day train ride on the Rockymountaineer from Vancover to Jasper. Any reviews??

Day 1 we arrive in Jasper, need help with cheap accommodation in Jasper and what to see and do

day 2 help with accommdation and see & what to do

day 3 help with accomodation and see & what to do

day 4 we need to arrive in Calgary and spend the night there to fly out to United State..

Day 2 & 3 we would like to see Lake louise, Moraine Lake, Icefields etc. Any recommendations on which place we should stay, Jasper, Banff or Lake Louise on those days..

Any additional information or idea's are appreciated.

thanks -mati

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: jasper to calgary

How are you planning to get from Jasper to Calgary? I'd expect that a one-way car rental would be expensive. Another option is a tour bus, which will stop at the highlights anyway. You don't have much time to work with--enough to see the bare highlights, if that. I'd spend day 2 in Jasper, maybe go to Maligne Canyon and/or lake. There is a shuttle service there; check out their website: http://www.malignelake.com/shuttle.html

I'd spend day 3 travelling to Lake Louise, checking out the icefields, waterfalls, etc. Spend day 4 around Lake Louise/Banff, and head to Calgary in the evening.

new jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: jasper to calgary

Sorry forgot to mention we will be renting a car from Jasper to all the sightseeing places and then return it to Calgary.

Please give information as we are travelling by car.

I appreciate it thank you....

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jasper to calgary

Hello Mati,

Okay, now that you've clarified that you'll be traveling by car, here's a suggested itinerary.

Day 1 - I don���t know what you mean by cheap accommodation. Everyone's idea of cheap, moderate and expensive is different, so it would help to know your actual dollar range. The cheapest accommodation in Jasper is a hostel dorm. You also can find reasonably priced accommodation, by the fairly expensive standards of the Canadian Rockies, if you do an Internet search for B&Bs and home accommodations in Jasper.

Home accommodations are like B&Bs, but without breakfast. However, several of the home accommodations have kitchenettes, so you can prepare your own breakfast. There also are some cafeterias and restaurants in Jasper where you can get a reasonably priced breakfast. Pedestrian as it may sound, the restaurant that's attached to the Petro-Canada gas station serves a pretty good breakfast.

Jasper also has conventional hotels and motels, and it has self-catering accommodations in the form of cabins, chalets, condos, etc. If you're planning to visit this coming summer, you may find that your first choice of accommodation already is booked, so you may need to try a few different places.

I suggest that you avoid places that describe themselves as being in Jasper East. That means they���re near the east gates of Jasper National Park. I do not think they are conveniently located with respect to the park's main sights for someone who will be paying the place as short a visit as you will be doing.

The Rocky Mountaineer's web site states that it gets into Jasper in the late afternoon. Is that the day you���re counting as Day 1? If that is so, you won't have time to do all that much, although you'll be assisted by the fact that you'll have many hours of daylight if you visit in the summer.

I suggest you pick up your rental car and drive 18 miles out of Jasper townsite to Mount Edith Cavell. First you need to go south of Jasper and get onto Hwy #93A. Then turn onto Cavell Road. Once you're on Cavell Road, stop a couple of times to look at the view of the Astoria River Valley. When you get to the end of the road, get out and do as much or as little of the Angel Glacier / Cavell Meadows hike as you feel like doing. If you walk the entire circuit, it's considered to be a half-day hike, but it's attractive even if you only walk part of it. Return to Jasper and have dinner.

More in next post.....

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jasper to calgary

Day 2 - Take the tramway up Whistler's Mountain if it is not covered in cloud. Then walk in Maligne Canyon. There is quite a pleasant restaurant next to the Maligne Canyon parking lot where you could have lunch. After that do the hour's drive to Maligne Lake. Consider taking the cruise across Maligne Lake to Spirit Island. Return to Jasper townsite and have dinner.

Day 3 - Drive the Icefields Parkway (Hwy #93) from Jasper to Lake Louise. At a minimum stop at Athabasca Falls, Sunwapta Falls, the Columbia Icefields and Peyto Lake Lookout. If you have not been up close to a glacier before, you may enjoy the ride in the Snocoach on the Athabasca Glacier at the Columbia Icefields.

Overnight in Lake Louise (my preference) or Banff. There is not much reasonably priced accommodation in the village of Lake Louise. You can stay in the hostel. I have heard it is clean and friendly, but does acquire a party atmosphere during the summer (which is a polite way of saying it is noisy). Of the hotels in Lake Louise, Lake Louise Inn is just about the most reasonably priced, although even it is not cheap in the summer.

Banff offers a wider range of accommodations and restaurants, but you would need to do some double backing the next day if you spent the night there.

If you choose to stay in Banff, you could even consider staying in Canmore, which is 15 minutes or so east of Banff townsite. I like the Georgetown Inn, which has a couple of dozen rooms, is quite charming and serves a lovely breakfast. It is not expensive by mountain standards. If you are looking for reasonably priced accommodation, Rocky Mountain Ski Lodge in Canmore is basic but clean and friendly.

Day 4 - Visit Moraine Lake. Go there first, as its parking lot fills up. Walk to the top of the pile of rocks at the north end of Moraine Lake, because the view is best from there. Do the lakeshore walk along one side of Moraine Lake. Then visit Lake Louise. Do the 1-mile uphill walk to Fairview Lookout, from which you get a good view of the lake and of Chateau Lake Louise. The trail starts close to the boat house from which they rent canoes.

Consider having lunch at the Station Restaurant at the edge of Lake Louise village.

Drive the Bow Valley Parkway (Hwy #1A) to Johnston Canyon. Walk into the canyon at least till the lower falls. It will take an hour to get to the falls and back to the parking lot. If you want to enjoy an even better sight, walk as far as the upper falls, but the round trip will take about 2-1/2 hours.

Then continue to Banff townsite. When you reach Banff, stroll down the main shopping street and have dinner.

More ......

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jasper to calgary

Day 4 continued - If you have a morning flight out of Calgary, you need to spend the night in Calgary, as you are planning to do. In that case I suggest doing the 2 hour drive to Calgary after dinner. It is convenient to stay in the north-east, as that is the quadrant in which the airport is located. The area is not charming, because it is home to big box stores like IKEA, Michael's and Toys R Us. Nonetheless it is clean and safe enough.

A pleasant hotel in the north-east is the Greenwood Inn. But all the usual suspects are represented in the north-east as well (Travelodge, Holiday Inn, et al). If you do an Internet search for hotels in that vicinity, it will be easy to spot them, because their street addresses all will end in N.E. and many of them have Airport in their names. However, be aware that there is only one hotel that is actually INSIDE the airport complex, and that is the Delta Calgary Airport Hotel.

If your flight leaves Calgary at 11.30 a.m. or later, you could spend the night of Day 4 in Banff / Canmore. Just be aware that it will take 1-1/2 hours from Banff to Calgary's western city limits and another half hour to cross the city to the airport, and you will need to check in 2 hours before your flight. That is because you clear U.S. immigration and customs at Calgary Airport.

If you want to fill your rental car before turning it in, there is a gas station just as you enter the airport complex.

Even if you come in summer, bring layers so that you can be prepared for summer or spring / fall weather. The weather in the mountains is very changeable. If you come in summer you could experience anything from 90 deg F to freezing. Bring comfortable walking shoes, preferably hiking boots but running shoes at a minimum. Bring a rain jacket and, in an ideal world, rain pants as well. In case it is hot, bring a sunhat, sunglasses and sandals (but sturdy, supportive sandals, not elegant ones with thin straps).

Moderately priced restaurants in the mountains are casual at lunchtime and at dinnertime. Upscale mountain restaurants are casual at lunchtime but smart casual at dinnertime.

Moderately priced Vancouver restaurants are casual, but upscale ones are smart casual. The upscale Vancouver restaurants that cater to the business crowd are smart casual even at lunchtime.

Hope that helps.

juniper35@gmail.com

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: jasper to calgary

FYI Judy: The Ikea is no longer in the northeast. It moved to its new location near Deerfoot & Glenmore (southeast) a few months ago.

Calgary, Alberta...
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jasper to calgary

>>>FYI Judy: The Ikea is no longer in the northeast. It moved to its new location near Deerfoot & Glenmore (southeast) a few months ago.<<<

It's funny you should mention that, jerm. I've passed the new IKEA several times, and my husband has been into it. I assumed that Calgary had grown big enough to justify a second IKEA location, but I now realise I was mistaken. Thanks for setting me straight.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: jasper to calgary

Like yourself, I was expecting the new Ikea to be a second location. It seems they'd rather have one big store (and it is big!) than two smaller ones.

Back to the original topic...

I'd encourage you to try to spend more time in the Rockies if possible. There is a lot to see, and I think with 3 days you will wish you had more time. If you follow Judy's busy itinerary, you will just cover the highlights. I try to get out to the mountains every weekend, and there are always new things for me to see!

new jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: jasper to calgary

Thank you Judy for your wonderful response!!

We don't want to stay at the hostels, but we will look into the Bed & breakfasts and the other lodgings that you have mentioned...

The itinery that you have mentioned sounds great and we will definately try to follow that.

thanks again for the repsonse...

new jersey
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: jasper to calgary

Judy. Day 1 is going to be the next day in Jasper, as we will arrive from the train ride that day, so the next day i am considering as day 1 so forth...