We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Ontario to Alberta

Ontario
1 post
Save Topic
Driving from Ontario to Alberta

We are leaving on July 16th to drive from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario to Calgary, Alberta....we have never driven this distance before and have never travelled "these parts" before.

Any suggstions on where to stop, how to pass the time, how to keep it cheap, where to stay, how long it will take ??

we had planned on driving through Canada on the way there and then driving through the U.S on the way back...

Thanks alot....

Canada
Level Contributor
412 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

We drove from Toronto to Calgary a few years ago. 51 hours, non stop. brutal but a once in a lifetime experience (except for the time you have to come back :). We stopped in Thunder Bay at Robin's donut, in Kenora for gas, in Brandon Manitoba at the grocery store, in Regina for a quick tour of downtown, somewhere in a small town in western Sask. for gas and finally in Calgary. How to pass the time: have lots and lots of CDs and make sure the other people in the car are great conversationalists!! I also picked up a cross word puzzle that I did in the car before I got too tired.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

I've driven this a few times and it is a very long trip which we did with about 15-17 hrs of driving each day. Stop only when you need to, have good road maps and take a small cooler with some drinks etc to save money if you have room.

The decision to go the US route on the way home may save you time and gas. Have a look at mapquest since that's the fastest route (29 hrs) laid out for your trip. You can even print off the directions with the smaller inset maps highlighted if you need to.

Take lots of great music!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,100 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

Another fun thing to pass the time is to follow your route on the Trans-Canada Ecotour:

www.canadiangeographic.ca/ecotours/home_e.htm

Just print out the applicable sections.

For music, I'd recommend some Canadiana. Stan Rogers' "Northwest Passage" is my theme for that drive. And don't forget the Stompin' Tom!

I like Tim Horton's for meal stops; good fresh food, not too greasy, not too expensive. It's a trifle slower than the usual fast food joints but worth the extra minutes IMO.

toronto
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

hi,we are planning on driving from toronto ontario to calgary alberta as well but we were wondering how to find out the canada route instead of having to go through the us..do you know how i can find that out? if so e-mail me at Jacobs_107@hotmail.com thank you

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
25,100 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

Here's your route on Mapquest:

www.mapquest.com/mq/2-lm7TFsaVxldqZ_joAe5l

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

Hi my daughter plans to drive from Cambridge to Calgary she has 3 small kids so wants to go the quickest route, if you go through the US is there a passport checkpoint? Any body done this with kids before?

West Grey, Ontario
Destination Expert
for Toronto
Level Contributor
71,148 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

Hi RieOntario;

Rather than resurrect an old post, proper forum etiquette would be to post your questions by starting your own topic.

Effective June 1st 2009, you will require one of the following to enter the United States;

• Canadian Passport

• Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)

• Trusted Traveler Program Card

Kids 15 and under just need their birth certificates.

http://www.knowyourborder.gov/

Best Regards

London, Canada
Level Contributor
3,758 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

She will cross the border twice driving out through the States........once going into the US and once coming out.

Children should have their own passports if they are not on their parent's passport. The other issue if only one parent is travelling is to have a letter of consent from the other parent........

Check the facts here on the Canadian gov't website and call to verify before the date of travel:

cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/…060-eng.html

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

Thanks for the responses, but I forgot to mention that they are UK cizizens not Canadian.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
13,856 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Ontario to Alberta

TO RIEONTARIO,

I have a feeling... that you'll have plenty more Questions before you get this one all sorted out.

As RESCUE TEAM pointed out proper FORUM etiquette is that you begin your own Topic, so that the answers to yourself and the original poster are not confused (plus I doubt he wants email on this topic from a Question he /she posed back in 2006).

Cheers!

Wine-4-2