We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental at YYC

SW Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental at YYC

Can someone please enlighten me on the tremendous increase in car rental rates at YYC?

In July of 2016 I rented a Jeep Grand Cherokee for 17 days for a bottom line cost of $634.00. I'm putting together a trip this year and the same rental is between $1,300 and $1,800! I can understand an increase over 2 years but this is ridiculous. I prepaid in 2016 but the current rates are also for prepay! I have done some serious research and cannot find anything under $1,000 and that is from companies that are VERY much not recommended. Any straight answer has not been forth-coming from the main 4 rental companies. WHAT GIVES???

Mentioned in this post
Calgary Intl Airport
Calgary Intl Airport
Calgary, Canada
12 replies to this topic
Penticton, Canada
Level Contributor
18,153 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental at YYC

Supply and Demand. Because they can and people will pay that price - Economics 101

much like 25% tariff on steel for security reasons; there is no more making sense of things these days.

Edited: 9:50 pm, June 07, 2018
Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Calgary
Level Contributor
26,838 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental at YYC

Supply and demand, indeed! As the Canadian Rockies have soared in popularity, prices have gone up for hotels, canoe rentals, and - apparently - car rentals. You could be able to save some money by renting off-airport; a taxi ride or shuttle bus to downtown could result in savings, and you may be able to return your car to the airport without penalty (read your contract to be sure).

Also, if you're visiting in July again this year, perhaps your trip falls during the Calgary Stampede or Canada Day long weekend. If it's an August trip, does it include the extremely popular August long weekend (Aug 3-6)? These are holidays that are easy for an American visitor to overlook.

Edited: 10:17 pm, June 07, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Calgary Stampede
Calgary Stampede
2,718 Reviews
Calgary, Canada
Canada
Canada
North America
SW Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental at YYC

Checked Edmonton, other Canadian cities and several US cities in the NW. Pretty much the same results. The biggest difference is in the SUV category. Off-site locations are only a slight bit lower. Triple the price makes no sense!

Mentioned in this post
Edmonton
Edmonton
Alberta, Canada
Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental at YYC

I've been renting cars at YYC frequently for many years. If you managed to rent a Jeep Grand Cherokee for 17 days out of YYC for only $634, then that was a steal. Yes, the rates in Calgary can be expensive, but what you paid in 2016 was unusually cheap.

Mentioned in this post
Calgary Intl Airport
Calgary Intl Airport
Calgary, Canada
Calgary
Calgary
Alberta, Canada
calgary
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental at YYC

Do you really need an SUV? Basic sedan will work and be much cheaper.

SW Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental at YYC

Yep, We're two couples who are into wildlife photography. This is our third trip to Jasper and Banff. We know what we need.

Mentioned in this post
Jasper
Jasper
Jasper National Park, Canada
Banff
Banff
Banff National Park, Canada
Calgary
Level Contributor
58 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental at YYC

But think of what it would cost if the Cdn dollar was at par with US $ instead of ours costing you about 77 cents...

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental at YYC

What's your dates?

SW Florida
Level Contributor
36 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental at YYC

Somewhere around August 6th, 2019 for 17 days. As your probably aware, we needed to arrange lodging this early!

calgary
Level Contributor
5,491 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Rental at YYC

If you haven't got lodging yet, I'd be more worried about that than the price of rental car!

Reply to: Car Rental at YYC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;