We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Motorhome to Los Barriles

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Yucaipa, California
10 posts
Save Topic
Motorhome to Los Barriles

I would like to get some information from indivduals who make the trip south from San Diego to Los Barriles in their motorhome.

I have driven as far south as Ensenada on many occasions but not lately with all of the drug violence information. I am thinking of take my 40' motorhome and 21ft boat south to Los Barriles. I have flown to Cabo and driven to Los Barriles also to Todos Santos and I am familar with the area. The question is how risky is my quest? I have heard lots of conflicting stories about baja being safer than the mainland. I heard your more likely to die in an auto accident in the US opposed to drug violence in Mexico. Only the people who actually do drive down there know the problem and real risks. If you could take a moment to enlighten me on your thoughts I would surley appreciate it ..thank you Tom

el dorado hills
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Motorhome to Los Barriles

Hi Tom,

I have driven the route many times but not in an RV. As far as safety you will be fine. Just be off the road before dark and park in RV park. After dark cows seem to love the highway. When entering a village look out for Topes. These are large bumps in the road. For more information go to www. bajajnomad.com. Hope this helps John

Edited: 11:57 am, December 20, 2012
Yucaipa, California
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Motorhome to Los Barriles

Thanks John, I was just wondering if I would be a big target with the motorhome and boat. I sure do miss my Mexico trips

Lincoln, California
Level Contributor
4,234 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Motorhome to Los Barriles

Another option is to join an RV caravan down thru Baja, there are several professional ones that charge a fee as well as free ones where people find each other on RV forums and head down together.

Yucaipa, California
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Motorhome to Los Barriles

Thank you for your response..I have looked into the caravans and most of them want around 3k to join them it seems a bit outragous. I would really like some information on contacts for getting together with sonwbird groups or just people that like to travel in caravans. That would be idea and I think a lot more safe. any info anyone has I would certainly appreciate the help

Caribou. BC
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Motorhome to Los Barriles

Hi Tom

We took our 29 ft m/h and tow from BC as far as La Paz 2 years ago .We had no problems whatsoever. I am thinking of returning next year . We found Mike and Terri Church book on Baja Camping very helpfull. The hgy is a little narrow in spots just take it easy and u shouldn't have any problem. Don't travel at night as there is a lot of wildlife on the road. Also check out Baja Nomads forum as there is lots of info there.

Dave

Yucaipa, California
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Motorhome to Los Barriles

Thank you Dave I bought the book a copuple of weeks ago. It is going to be very helpful. So I take it that because you were driving a 29 ft motorhome that you were not look at as a target of wealth? I have been wondering if the boat and motorhome would be an attraction to bandits. People continue to tell me that it is a bad idea to take my boat down there but sure is somthing I want to do for the fishing. It doesn't get much better than Baja

7. Re: Motorhome to Los Barriles

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:15 am, January 20, 2014