We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency to bring?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
igs
Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
289 posts
166 reviews
Save Topic
What currency to bring?

We're heading down to the Palladium on Mar 26. Can anyone tell me what currency we should be bringing? Should we buy a bunch of Pesos before we go? Are Canadian $ ok, or should be purchase some US currency?

Thanks.

Hamilton, ON
Level Contributor
942 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency to bring?

I don't you can use canadian.

it's basically US and paesos (sp?).

Anyway, we're going to just bring US currency as it's easy to deal with for tips. $1 bills and such.

For any official tours or such like the dolphin discovery we'll use credit card.

So yeah I think you can get away with just US money (the exchange is so good now) and if you use an ATM down there I think all they spit out are paesos.

seattle, wa
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency to bring?

I have read it is best to use pesos for tipping because many workers work 6 days a week and if the only day they get off is on Sunday it is difficult.

ATMs are very common so you could get your money there.

Good luck.

ontario canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency to bring?

Just returned and used pecos as I am Canadian and it is foolish to get screwed on the exchange to american dollars. There is a bank machine at the airport and in Bucerias 12 minutes from the resort. Go to a money exchange or ask some banks in your area before you go if you want some on hand immediately.