We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Haida Gwaii (Queen...
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

Hello. Looking for help choosing between the Riu Jalisco and the Riu Vallarta for a 2 week vacation. We are a couple in our 50's looking for fun, relaxation, beach and good food. Any thoughts? Thank you.

Chicago
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
8,851 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

RIU Jalisco just reopened after an extensive remodel/update. That being said, if you stay at the RIU Vallarta, you can use all the facilities at the Jalisco (except the evening ala cartes). At the Jalisco, you cannot go over to the Vallarta.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

You can go to the Riu Vallarta when staying at the Jalisco, they do allow full exchange privileges now except for dinner (was just there).

I liked the Vallarta better. It wasn't as big or frenetic as Jalisco and there weren't as many kids. I would pick the Vallarta for sure!

Haida Gwaii (Queen...
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

Thank you.

Haida Gwaii (Queen...
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

Hi Beachnickk. Did you find that the beach at Vallarta wasn't as inviting as the beach at Jalisco because of the lack of palm trees or was it not an issue due to all of the palapas? Thanks in advance.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
89 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

I just sent the jalisco an email about exchange with the vallarta, and they said nooooooo!

6. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:29 pm, January 24, 2014
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

None of the Riu`s in Nuevo seem to believe in Palapas even the Palace. I did notice that the colour of the rental umbrella ( was $10.00 US) was co ordinated to the colour of the beach lounge chairs. at each Riu.

HMMM - Do we think maybe the Riu`s have a financial interest in these Rental Umbrellas??? Now that more trees have been removed at the Jalisco - umbrellas are in great demand!

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,328 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

No they don`t.. Even the Sports rentals are leased out , along with Internet room etc.

So , don`t rent an Umbrella,, just move lounger around, under the trees if you need shade, or Move closer to the Pool, with the roofs. Lol.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

I would seriously suggest the Vallarta.

Don't even fool around with going to the Jalisco. Especially if you are serious about the "relaxation" part.

If you can swing it in the budget try the Palace Pacifico. It is certainly more suitable for older couples who are not vacationing with children.

At the Palace there may be children there. They just won't be yours and they won't be numerous.

Edited: 1:28 am, January 23, 2014
Haida Gwaii (Queen...
Level Contributor
49 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Jalisco or Riu Vallarta

Thanks for the feedback people. Will have a look at the Palace though I think it is out of our budget range. Sounds like Jalisco is out which is unfortunate because the pricing is very inviting.