We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

Some background: We have been NuevoV only our VERY FIRST Mexico trip 10 years ago (and to PV a few times since) – so our memories of Nuevo are very special as it got us hooked on Mexico! We typically don’t go to all-inclusives as there are so many good places to eat in PV and area, but this is a special occasion where an AI made sense.

We are celebrating hubby’s 50th and he clearly stated that he doesn’t want a party or other hoopla at home, so I opted to take him away. A perfect arrangement if I say so myself, as this way I get something out of it as well:-)! Anyway, got an exchange deal through RCI paying a reduced AI fee, so HRV sounded good and we’re all booked (and he still doesn’t know where we’re going)! I’ve read a LOT of the reviews so know more or less what to expect … however I do have a few questions and the answers will help me to be better prepared and make sure he has a good time! We are not planning a lot of excursions as we’ve done many on previous occasions and this trip is purely for R&R purposes and spending quality time together.

1) Is the Fitness center adequate? Not a normal vacay question from me, but we recently started to work out together and have fun doing it, so will be good to know if their facility is any good, or whether we should expect to get all exercise from walking on the beach/swimming, etc.

2) Anyone knows which room type we get through the RCI booking? I asked but it doesn’t seem as if RCI knows. Do they all have the ‘french’ balconies? And the Jacuzzi type bath tub?

3) Keeping in mind that hubby doesn’t like a big fuss (a group singing Happy B-day around our dinner table will probably land me in the dog house) but at the same time he enjoys a good fun time; I’ve seen mention of the “Chef’s dinner” as well as “Romantic Dinner” … is this recommended (we’re not exactly foodies but enjoy good food)? And if so, any idea what the additional costs are? As RCI bookings we don’t get the $1,500 resort credits (I believe only a limited 500 credits and still trying to find out what we can use that on), so would like to know what I should budget for. [If we haven’t done the Rhythm of the Night a previous trip I would’ve opted for that as it was a great experience.] Any suggestions?

4) I don’t believe any of the pools at HRV is an adult-only pool, correct?

5) I typically take our own ‘floaties’ to either use in the pool or in the ocean if calm enough as we love drifting in the sun with a cold drink in hand … some hotels now tend to have their own – any comments on this?

6) I don’t believe water shoes are necessary to enjoy the ocean at NV, correct? We stayed closer to PV a few times where we definitely needed it due to the rocks. Do we need it at HRV?

Phew, I think that is it … for now:-)! Your help will be much appreciated!! We’re going in February – so it is fast approaching, YAY!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Overland Park...
Level Contributor
395 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

To #6 you are correct no shoes needed.

The beach is long and flat no rocks.

I'm a runner and always check the tide chart on the web. One can easily do a 15k.

Enjoy you trip.

Edited: 8:33 am, January 15, 2014
Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
13,391 posts
565 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

Too bad you had not booked thru an owner like myself then you would have gotten the higher resort credits, but either way.

The fitness center is adequate, bikes, treadmills, weights, etc...we have used it and like the fitness center. Not usually really busy unless very early morning. It is air conditioned.

Thru RCI you will get the regular Jr suite I think it is called, has large jacuzzi, french balcony, you can if available use credits to upgrade to concierge level or whatever name they call-it now that has a larger sit out/on balcony.

WE missed the Chef's dinner but the Romantic dinner had great food and nice beach atmosphere, suggest highly. You need to use credits for that as well. Sorry cannot remember the cost in credits.

As far as I know there is NOT an adult pool but we have never had an issue getting a quiet area by pool.

No clue on the floaties..think they have boogie boards to use on beach and maybe kayaks but not positive.

You should not need water shoes at HRV. Pretty smooth sand and ocean bottom..

Enjoy your time...and for future visits there feel free to reach out to an owner /member to get more credits and most likely a better deal. I personally have more timeshare weeks than I know what to do with LOL.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

Bezerk:- Thanks a ton for all this info. Is the "Romantic Dinner" only for the two of you or is it a particular night with multiple couples? I have seen in the past at some resorts that they had one couple on the beach with all the trimmings - I don't think my hubby will enjoy all the attention focused on him:-).

Had no idea that I can get a better deal through an owner (I am a novice in these things:-)); will definitely do so in future. I assume when doing that I pay the full AI fee on top of whatever arrangement we make? Thanks again - starting to look forward to it!

4. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:24 am, January 16, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

Bezerk:- Fantastic; will definitely do that. Thanks again.

Arlington Hts, IL
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

My husband and I were there in November. You can order him a small birthday cake and champagne for the room. That is included. That way there wouldn't be a fuss over him at the restaurant. The beach you can walk for miles. Gym is fine too. The activity pool can get a little loud in the afternoon. You can always go to the area by the water slide. That is quieter. The chairs on the beach are quiet too. We loved the chef's dinner. It is indoors in the ballroom. They have a little combo play. You will be sitting with others at a round table. Maybe 6 to 8 tables in the room The chef is a comic, so you will entertained. The Romantic Dinner is the best. Live music. Small tables for two. Probably about 10 tables of two on the beach. They will serve champagne, lobster tail and filet while you watch the sunset. Wonderful. Try not to get a room over the Sun Bar. It usually has a band at night, in case you go to be early, See the Michael Jackson show and the Cirque de Solei show. Both good.

Mentioned in this post
Jackson
Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

Virginia:- The small cake and champagne is an EXCELLENT suggestion!! Wouldn't have thought to ask for this and would NOT have assumed it is 'included' in the AI! Will they bring up a bottle of bubbly?? Sorry if this is a silly question, however I am fairly new to the world of All Inclusive, so not entirely sure what is 'in' and what not:-).

The Romantic Dinner definitely sounds like something that will be right up our alley, special treatment but not solo attention. I emailed HRV to determine if I can use my credits for this, and how many credits it will take (through RCI we're not getting all the 'regular' credits). Do you know if they do the Romantic Dinner every night, i.e. per request or only if they have x-number of reservations?

Thanks so much for your info, it is greatly appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington Hts, IL
Level Contributor
399 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

buzz- Yes they will deliver a bottle of Champagne to you room upon request. Just confirm that it is included, since some people use their credits to upgrade their bottles. They usually have a bottle of wine sitting on the table in your room anyway. There will be beer in the fridge.

I really don't remember the credit amount for the Romantic Dinner. I think it is around 300. They offer the dinner 2 evenings per week. Sign up when you arrive or the next day so you get your preferred day. If you have any credit points left treat yourself to a manicure pedicure in the spa. The chairs face the ocean. You will love that! You will be asked about twice to attend a presentation. You are not obligated. Just politely say no if you are not interested. Have a great time!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

Virginia - THANKS! I just heard back from Lazaro AND Roberto at HRV with their full price lists. The Romantic Dinner is $350US per couple and offered on Tue and Fri eve`s at 6pm. YAY, hubby`s b-day is on a Tuesday, so working out perfectly! I may be able to sneak in a pedi for myself:-) .. too bad we don`t have more credits as even with the 20% tax it makes the extras much more doable. Looking forward to it ... leaving in less than 20 days - woohoo!

Mentioned in this post
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hard Rock Vallarta … booked through RCI!!

Buzz - please come back to the forum after your Febuary trip and update your post. I would also like to know about floaties in the pool, and gym facilities. And any other suggestions or comments you may have for the Hard Rock. We are going in April.

Happy Birthday to your husband. We've been to NV OR PV a few times for anniversary and/or birthday and usually do a special dinner downtown PV. I'm with your husband and didn't want a fuss. Wouldn't do a romantic dinner on the beach because I felt too conspicuous.