We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Reading Area, PA
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

Looking for suggestions for the resort with the best combination of accommodations / beach / service - and kids programs.

We have two young boys - ages 8 and 6.

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks - Kevin

Surrey, B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

For my money you can't beat Paradise Village. I wrote a complete review on this site... I can sent it to you directly if you can't find it. It is the best combination of accommodations/beach/service and although our kids never went to the "daycare" they were completly entertained. I never once heard them say "I'm bored"! Those I talked to who had sent their kids to the kids club highly recommended it to us.

Brian

Reading Area, PA
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

Brian - if you wouldn't mind sending your review I'd appreciate it. Thanks - Kevin

chicago
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

Read my post about Marival....it's got a great kids program!!

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
1,016 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

The Melia has the best kid's program/facilities, however the beach there is not the best.

Surrey, B.C. Canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

Here is my review of Paradise Village that I wrote upon our return in December 04. If you have any questions I would gladly answer them in person. You can call me directly at 604-574-9813 - keep in mind we are on west coast time!

Brian

My first encounter with Paradise Village was in January of 2004. I do extensive traveling throughout Canada and the US and on this occasion was in PV filming a PBS golf show. Paradise Village had provided us with the accommodation. My impression at that time was it would be a great place to take my family, and although we were only there for 3 nights (and I mean nights as the days were spent filming), I knew it was something special.

So, fast-forward to December 2004. We checked in with our 4 and 6 year olds and another family with their children. What followed were 12 of the best days we could have imagined.

Cleanliness:

First of all for me is cleanliness. The place is spotless. The rooms were clean, large and comfortable. The maid was excellent and although the signs in the kitchen said they do NOT do dishes, we found with a 4-dollar tip a day, they were always done. We had the least expensive room (the Junior Suite with Marina view), and it was still well appointed and above all spotless. We had probably the worst location as well, across the hall from the elevator and next to the lobby atrium 3 floors up, and yet were rarely bothered by outside noise or disturbances. We never heard anything from above or below.

Safety:

With children there is always the safety factor. Paradise Village is a gated resort in Nuevo Vallarta, so I felt safer their than I do at home. The purified tap water was a nice touch as well. I had read on several forums that the time-share people at Paradise Village were relentless. This is the farthest thing from the truth. We were never approached, and ironically this is probably the only place we would consider buying a timeshare! We joked repeatedly that maybe we look like we don���t have any money.

Activities:

The activities staff was first rate. There was always something to do ��� from beach volleyball to lazy pool games ��� we all enjoyed the activities. They did not forget about the kids either. Most activities around the pool included the children, or had a separate event for children. Most of the beach activities (like volleyball) were for adults only. We had intended to put our kids in their ���Kids Camp���, but we were always so busy, we never go around to it. I did think the cost of the club was a bit exorbitant ��� $27 USD per day per child ��� however the adults that we talked to that had used the service seemed pleased. The kid���s playground at the beach and mall were welcomed as well. The kids especially enjoyed the zoo ��� every day around noon they let the less dangerous animals out to enjoy a walk around. It was very strange to see ostriches roaming around the entranceway. I will say that if I were a couple, I'd probably think twice about staying here. The beach is always quiet but the pools always had lots of children in and around them. One "lovely couple" was yelling at me because my kids kept waking them up... it was 10:30 in the morning!

Food:

As it turned out the family we were traveling with, really had wanted an all-inclusive resort - and for some time we had considered the Melia. All-inclusive have one problem in my opinion. There is no incentive to offer a wide range of meals to suit everyone, because you���ve already paid for it. There is also no incentive to offer excellent service as they know you���ll be back regardless for the next meal. At Paradise Village they do offer an all-inclusive program, but frankly the cost is so high I don���t know who would take it. We just paid as we went and the service and food quality was excellent. We had planned to eat several times in town but ended up eating every single dinner in the complex. I had read on several forums that the cost was expensive. I don���t know how to respond to this as you have so many choices. Some days when we wanted to go on the cheap and have the taste of home - we walked over to the mall and had McDonalds, Subway or Dominos. Most days we ate at the Tulum restaurant, our personal favorite. Meals were reasonable in the $8 - $14 range for dinner, less expensive for breakfast and lunch, and with an extensive kids menu that was around $4. You sat overlooking the beach with palm trees swaying overhead. We have paid a lot more for the same thing in Hawaii. The best part was the theme nights. We attended 2 ��� the Lobster Fest and Italian Night. For Lobster Fest they move an entire restaurant onto the beach, with a live band, salad and desert bars and more ambiance than I���ve ever had. This was our most expensive meal for the 4 of us. I will ad that our kids love lobster, so they shared one as well and the total bill was $110. The Italian night featured great food and a roving Mariachi band ��� our total bill with drinks ��� about $50.00. Of course if you never want to eat out, you can always prepare every meal in your room.

In closing I have to say that this was my best time in Mexico. I have been to Cabo, PV, Ixtapa, Mexico City, San Jose Del Cabo and Guadalajara. Although each place was special, at this time in my life with children, Nuevo Vallarta and Paradise Village exceeded my expectations. The beach was perfect, the pools were fabulous, and represents great value. It���s not the least expensive place in PV, but as the old adage goes, ���you get what you pay for���. On the last day my wife and I sat down to fill out the questionnaire form left in our room. One of the final questions was ���What could we do to make your stay better���. It actually took us until the following day to come up with a response��� it could always be less money!

Chicago
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

barabsky, saw your message about Paradise. I like your review, and am considering not taking the AI package. Thank You,

Burlington Ontario
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

We also had a difficult time deciding on where to book - so many options! However, here is why we finally decided on the Marival. We are also travelling with a child ( 7 ) and wanted a hotel to accomodate all of us.

We went with an all-inclusive because children tend to eat only a little at a time then 2 hours later are hungry again! With an AI they can just go up and get whatever they want, anytime and we don't have to worry about having money on us all the time ( tends to get expensive when you're paying for breakfast, many snacks and drinks throughout the day, lunch, dinnner, etc....) We didn't want to worry about where we were going for our meals.

The beach sounds great too, but the seller was the water slides in the kids pool. Our child loves the water. The beach also got great reviews, sandy ( some resorts have lots of rocks) alot of water sports and activities for all ages. We found the Paradise prices a little steep ( however it may well be worth it).

We just went ahead and made a decision ( by what I've been reading, it sounds like a good one - very few negative reviews of the Marival). We'll let you know when we get back! I sincerely think either place would be great. After all we're on vacation and anything is better than snow right now! Good luck if you haven't decided yet and have a great time wherever you decide on!

Level Contributor
860 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

Camrirox:

We have also decided on the Marival (when are you going). I have asked around as well and know a few people here in Vancouver that have been and they RAVE about the kids program, our girls cannot wait! Apparently they never get bored which will be nice because as much as I am happy to haev them with me will be nice to take an hour with my husband by the pool or for a walk along the beach!

Burlington Ontario
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Looking for Best Resort / Kids Programs

Hi Need2travel ! We're going April 8 - 15 and we can't wait. We just have too much snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When are you going?

I have to agree with you, as much as we do love our kids, it will be fun to relax without having to keep her entertained every minute! Hope you're there at the same time! Let me know.