We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

We are going to Nuevo Vallarta over Christmas and New years. We are undecided on which resort to go to the Vallarta or Jalisco. Because we are going for 2 weeks it might be better to go to the Vallarta and to be able to use things at the Jalisco. We like the grounds at the Jalisco but worried that maybe the reno's won't be done. We are in our early 50's we like having fun and having fun around us, we also like having kids around too. We had gone to a 5 star in Jamicia and it was boring and too quiet. Can anyone give us input to help with our decision.

Mentioned in this post
Nuevo Vallarta
Nuevo Vallarta
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Moose Jaw, Canada
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

Also is there a Christmas and or New Years gala at either the Vallarta or Jalisco?

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
San Rafael...
Destination Expert
for Nuevo Vallarta
Level Contributor
471 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

I have stayed at both and feel that the Riu Vallarta is a better fit for us. Also in our early 50's and enjoy lots of fun!! The Jalisco was way to crowded and out of control for us. I would stay at the Vallarta and use the facilities at the Jalisco. I do like the lay out of the Jalisco better but I know you will have an amazing time at whatever resort you choose!! Sorry, don't know about the galas.

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Riu Vallarta
Hotel Riu Vallarta
5,862 Reviews
Nuevo Vallarta, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Invermere, British...
Level Contributor
112 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

I too have stayed at both, but the Vallarta is my favorite. The kinks from all the renos may not be totalled fixed at the Jalisco by that time, to be safe it may be best to choice the Vallarta, unless you're not the type to be bothered by those things. The Vallarta should have something special for Christmas, maybe check the website.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,803 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

i vote for the Vallarta also... mostly because you can use the Jalisco also...Not the other way around.

The Jalisco will be opening in Mid. NOV... so it should be Up to date by Xmas.

and it will be Busy at Both resorts then,,, as the Families come in Bus loads.. It will be a Hugh party.. with decorations/lights and extra activities.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
calgary
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

have stayed beside the jalisco at the samba and the jalisco beach was always dirty with food wrappers and drink bottles and cups all over the ground around the beach loungers. it would be like that all day it was gross. i would watch the samba staff cleaning all the time and the jalisco staff would not. that place is also super loud all day and night , very annoying. they also sell a ton of day passes and pack the place to the roof on weekends its gross. not worth the money ,pay extra and stay at the palace its not as crowded because of the price.

Mentioned in this post
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

Sorry, I am going to piggy back onto this thread...

My husband and I are traveling over New Years to this location too and I am not sure which resort to book either. We stayed at the Palace 2 years ago and LOVED it. I know the Vallarta and Jalisco are nothing like the Palace. Is it worth just paying the extra to stay at the Palace or is the Vallarta suitable? I am also worried that the Palace wont be as 'fun' for new years as the Vallarta or Jalisco.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

if you were happy with the Palace and don't mind paying extra, stay with the Palace. We have stayed at the Palace as well as Vallarta but not over New Years.

I cannot tell you if Palace will be less fun than Vallarta over New Years but in general during all our 3 stays at the Palace we found it to be a bit quieter than the Vallarta which was more happening. But do note that you can have the best of both. If you stay at the Palace you can use Vallarta and Jalisco. Ask the concierge at Palace if you can go over to Vallarta for New Years...

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,803 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

Andrea: As Agshah,the Palace is a Step UP from Vallarta and two Up from Jalisco..

Do NOTE: the Palace has Only One pool... not Kids Pool... that deters us from going there. The do have Room service, etc. but the Do NOT have a Disco. If that is your thing.. then you would have to go over to Jalisco or Vallarta to the Disco.

Plus at night, I would recommend getting a Cab,It's a good 5=6 city block walk to the Jalisco. with No mans land along the way,.... Others say they have walked it, but Late..late ,I would NOT.

I'm sure the Palace will have a NewYears Show/dancing etc. to enjoy.

Never had an Issue with Dirty beach at either Vallarta or Jalisco.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
Jalisco
Jalisco
Mexico
Edmonton, Alberta...
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

Thanks guys! Yes hubby and I walked over to the disco late at night from the Palace, we didn't feel threatened at all. It was a beautiful midnight walk. The no kids pool is Okay for us as we don't have children, honestly we enjoyed the fact that there weren't very many children at the Palace, just a couple here and there.

I think staying at the Palace and walking over to the Vallarta/Jalisco to enjoy the festivities would be best.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
calgary
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Riu Vallarta vs Riu Jalisco

i have stayed next door to the jalisco 5 times and every time it is the same. DIRTY BEACH AREA AND SUPER LOUD MUSIC ALL NIGHT AND DAY. activities staff just screams into pa system all day and night. can actually hear it 2 resorts down. only heard good things about the palace though, everyone says it is totatly different than the jalisco way more upscale.