We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
San Francisco
Level Contributor
889 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

We just got back from 10 days at the Marival Resort & Suites. This was our third annual family vacation there. I just posted a review but if anyone has any questions I can help with let me know.

Mountain View, CA
Level Contributor
1,329 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

we just got back from Nuevo too and walked by Marival on the beach almost everyday. Seemed like a very happening and fun place.

Edited: 12:19 pm, July 03, 2012
new york
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

Hi Abigail,

Are you "forced" to eat at the buffet your first night there?

What restaurants did you dine at and what dishes do you recommend?

Thanks.

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

Hey zebralb, heading back next week for trip 5 to the Marival.

Can you tell me was there a vendor named Polo still working on the beach selling tours?

Having a hard time getting ahold of him. Wondering if he is still there....

If you have a minute can you look at my pictures. There is one on there of him to see what he looks like. Thanks, Sker

I assume Gus (senor junk) and Luis were still selling at the shack?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
889 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

Agshah - it certainly was happening! We love the lively feel of the place since we travel there with our kids, but one down side to this past visit was that the hotel was at full capacity for the first half of our visit and if felt too crowded for my tastes. All in all though, still a great stay.

Zebralb - you can make restaurant reservations between 7 and 5 days prior to arrival via the Marival website. So if you don't want to eat at the buffet the first night I would suggest doing the reservations in advance. However depending on what night you arrive the buffet can be pretty good - Tuesday is Mexican Fiesta night and has great food, and Friday is Tex Mex night with an awesome custom fajita bar outside. Surprisingly, Oriental night (Wednesday I think?) is also pretty good - love the stir fry bar (also outside on the patio).

We also ate at Amalfi three times and twice at Las Palomas. We didn't bother with La Pergola for dinner (although had nice breakfasts and lunches there) because we didn't find their dinner food very interesting or tasty on previous visits. Everything I tried at Amalfi was great. The fresh mozzarella and arugula salad was wonderful, as was the Penne with Vodka, the Chicken Marsala, and the Sole filet. Yum! At Las Palomas I loved both the Uxmal Favorites mixed seafood in a creamy sauce, and the filet of sole on grilled pineapple. The tortilla soup was very nice too. Skip the Tres Leches cake - very overly sweet. Their margaritas are great too. La Bamba, the pool side steak house, isn't open for dinner in the rainy season, but there's a buffet breakfast and lunch there every day.

Skelarry I didn't see Polo. We almost booked a trip to Las Caletas through Pedro at the Vallarta Adventures stand at the activity pool, but got lazy and didn't do anything but hang out at the resort. So I wasn't really looking for tours and may have missed Polo... Yes, Gus is still there - we've seen him every year. And I think Luis too. Have a great trip!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
12,235 posts
491 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

I have wanted to try Marival but since I am doing timeshare exchanges and they have a rule of 2 adults and 2 kids for a one bedroom or something similar...so with 2 adults could only get a studio or hotel room thru RCI, so no way Jose, I am trading good large units...happy they are busy as they do lose a lot of customers with this ruling, at least those who go on timeshare trips..:(

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,972 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

How do you like the fact the Residences are Not Beach front?was it a chore to get to the Marival Resort? did you walk Or that the shuttle ?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
889 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

JoLee were were at the Resort, not the Residences. We were offered an upgrade to the Residences but declined because we wanted to be on the beach, and we had family coming to meet us at the Resort, so we didn't want to be at a different hotel.

Invermere, British...
Level Contributor
108 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

Is there sailing there and can the guests sail by themselves or do you need to have one of the watersports guys with you?

Omaha, Nebraska
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

They do have two sailboats. You can either have a guy go with you or take them yourself. One recent change here, it used to be free, now $8.00 per person. I think it's a good change. You used to have to sign up a day or so in advance because they were so busy. Now you can usually get one in an hour or two.

Carpinteria
Level Contributor
15 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back from our third trip to the Marival. Any questions?

do they actually have a dress code at the restaurants for dinners, thank you