We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean questions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
10 posts
Save Topic
Ocean questions

We are going to Grand Velas in July. I really don't know anything about the pacific side of Mexico. What will the ocean be like? I have heard that it is choppy, is that true? I am wondering if it will be comfortable to swim and snorkle in. Any info would be great.

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean questions

It can be choppy out on the ocean - the water in Banderas Bay is usually much calmer. Yes, it's fine to snorkel and swim in. The only thing is in the Nuevo Vallarta area, the beaches are sometimes closed to swimming because of riptides. Depends where on the coast you are.

Nuevo is better for body surfing, Puerto is better for swimming. Neither location offers snorkeling opportunities from shore. You'll need to go on a snorkeling tour.

Water is bathtub warm in July.

Level Contributor
4,530 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean questions

We enjoyed a great week at the RIU in Nuevo last summer. If youve been to Cancun area the beach and water are very different in PV area. The sand is brown and gets very hot in the afternoon. The water is not clear. However, the waves are much better for boogie boarding in the afternoon.