We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we rent a car at the airport??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Manhasset, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
Should we rent a car at the airport??

We will be going to Nuevo Vallarta for the first time. Should we rent a car? If so which car rental should we use?

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we rent a car at the airport??

Hi!! Nuevo Vallarta is very close to the Puerto Vallarta airport - just a short taxi ride (and inexpensive fare) away. Unless you've decided that you will definitely need a rental vehicle for other "excursions and the like", you will not need one to get from the airport to your (or any other) hotel in Nuevo.

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
173 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we rent a car at the airport??

My Opinion - Only rent a car:

a) if you have a death wish

b) if you plan on venturing out on your own on excursions to other towns.

The driving is pretty crazy in Puerto Vallarta, but it is an option if you're staying in Nuevo and want to go into town every day. A better option is just to take taxis and the bus. The bus is like $1.50 each way and taxis are not unreasonable.

If you do rent a car, drive up the Punta Mita coast - it's pretty. Do rent at the airport if you plan to rent one though - it will probably be the most reputable and then you don't need to take a taxi from the airport.

3. Re: Should we rent a car at the airport??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:52 pm, December 04, 2005
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we rent a car at the airport??

I also think it should be pointed out that if someone is even a bit disabled (bad knees, back, mobility problems, etc.), the buses may not be an option. They're high off the ground and, particularly in the back, the suspensions aren't virtually absent. But I agree that cabs are a bargain.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,291 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we rent a car at the airport??

Typo. I meant "are" virtually absent, not "aren't". It's too early :)