We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why not take CND $$$$$?????

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
courtenay
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Why not take CND $$$$$?????

Is there any reason why I shouldn't take CND currency(traveller's cheques) with me and exchange it via The Palladium (where I'll be staying) or @ a bank in Bucerias? That just makes more sense to me than transferring it into USD?????? Is that NORMAL??????

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

Yes, I have been to the PVR region 4 times and that's exactly what I do. I just take $1.00 USD bills for tips. The rest is in Canadian funds. They have no problem changing it and yes, it's much cheaper to do this. Lynn

Sunshine Coast, BC
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

I just want to make sure I understand this correctly.

You are suggesting taking some US$ for tipping, but not to convert any large amounts into either US$ or Peso before we get to the resort.

Is the exchange rate at the resort better than what we would get through the bank here in Canada?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,511 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

As a Canadian, I would never go out and get US dollars even as tips. The people would prefer pesos (10 or 20 pesos)because that is what they spend.

Btw, I've checked out the rate for ordering pesos at CIBC (in Canada) and the rate really isn't that bad. For convenience sake, you might wish to check that out at yoru own bank. In general hotel exchange rates are the worst so I'd avoid exchanging money there if possible.

Sunshine Coast, BC
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

Thanks I will check out the rates

Sunshine Coast, BC
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

In regard to tipping how much, to whom, and how often do you recommend?

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

Just as a clarification, I have never exchanged my money at hotels, only at the bank. I will have to go to the bank here in Calgary and find out how much it is to buy pesos. That would be alot easier, that's for sure.

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,511 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

Hi again: For your reference,in comparing with what your Canadian bank would charge for pesos, I checked online at the exchange rates for the financial institution we use in Puerto Vallarta (Lloyd Mexico). They're

currently paying 8.93 pesos/Cdn dollar. In other words, this is app. what you'd get if you exchanged Canadian dollars for pesos in Puerto Vallarta today (each place is a bit different, but it gives you an idea--just like the price of gasoline in Canada or the US varies slightly... Ugh:))

Burnaby, Canada
Level Contributor
12,543 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

careyeroslib .... thanks for the "heads-up" re: current exchange rate (Can$ to Pesos). It's looking good!!

We caught a few pesos here awhile ago (at an currency exchange in downtown Vancouver), when our dollar started to make a move. At that time, bzy1 said she was getting about 8.70 pesos to the Can$ in Vallarta (at Scotiabank, if I remember correctly). We got short of that here, but like you said the rates can vary widely from place to place, and as much, and as often as gas prices do!!

We always take 'some' pesos with us -- to start us off -- but get the majority by exchanging Can$ to pesos while in Vallarta. We have never found the exchange rates to better here, than what we can get when there. But we've always found it convenient to have at least some pesos in-hand when arriving (for transport if needed, tips, etc.).

Cheers to all!!

Calgary, AB
Level Contributor
250 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

yes, thanks for all the great information. I really appreciate it. Will get pesos in Canada and tip in pesos. I travel to this area so much that I like all the info. that I can get.

courtenay
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why not take CND $$$$$?????

Thanks for all the great info!!!!! I have no idea why soooo many Canadians are saying to exchange OUR CND currency over to USD (since we lose so much to begin with) and then get down to Mexico and have to exchange over to Pesos AGAIN.....

Anyway, thanks again for the confirmation...........