We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV vs. Cancun

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Palm Springs
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
PV vs. Cancun

Will be traveling to Nueva Vallarta the first week of August and I've read the comparisons between PV and Cancun and it seems like Cancun has the most desirable beaches. We were there last year and I found the beaches to be absolutely gorgeous! The white sand beaches and warm aqua blue water was breathtaking! Am I going to be disappointed by what Nueva/Puerto Vallarta? Any input will be appreciated. Thank you!

Palm Springs
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: PV vs. Cancun

Oops...forgot to mention that our family will be staying at the Puerto Vallarta Palace Hotel.

Higuera Blanca...
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
Level Contributor
872 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PV vs. Cancun

You won't be disappointed in Nuevo Valllarta. The beaches are excellent and in the summer season the surf is not too high. If you are staying at the north end of Nuevo Vallarta the typical Mexican village of Bucerias is close by. When you are staying in Nuevo Vallarta you will have to travel a distance by bus, car or taxi going south past the airport to reach Puerto Vallarta .

Unlike Cancun, Puerto Vallarta is a real Mexican town with lots of activities. There are literally hundreds of restaurants and many, many things to see including the site at Mismaloya (south of Puerto Vallarta) where Night of the Iguana was filmed, the houses where Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton carried on a torrid love affair and which have been united by a bridge and the church where they were married. Puerto Vallarta is a real Mexican village that dates back to the 1600s when silver was mined up in the mountains and transported from Puerto Vallarta by boat back to Spain.

In my opinion Puerto Vallarta is far ahead of Cancun which, by comparison, is a sterile hotel zone! Of course, at this time of year, you must expect some rain in either place. But it is mostly at night. And there is no hurricane to contend with in PV.

Higuera Blanca...
Destination Expert
for Punta de Mita
Level Contributor
872 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PV vs. Cancun

I just now checked again. You seem to be staying at the Mayan Palace Hotel. It is a big luxurious complex, closer to Purto Vallarta and not too close to Bucerias. Almost certainly they have easy access to Puerto Vallarta from there.

Palm Springs
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: PV vs. Cancun

Thanks so much for your input! I was afraid that after visiting Cancun and the Mayan ruins that PV would fall short in comparison. Once again, thanks so much for your post, I feel much more at ease!