We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
North Carolina
Level Contributor
13 posts
15 reviews
39 helpful votes
how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

I am staying in Nuevo Vallarta and wanted to know how far Puerto Vallarta is from there. How far is Puerto Vallarta downtown and the Malecon from Nueveo Vallarta?? Thanks.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
10 helpful votes
1. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

About a 15-20 minute $17.00 cab ride. Make sure you visit the "Cheeky Monkey" right across from the boardwalk. You can look at the ocean and watch the sun set from an "open" bar and the beers and Margaritas are only $1.00!!

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
79 reviews
250 helpful votes
2. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

Just so you're not disappointed, there is pretty bad traffic these days most of the time. We live in the North Hotel Zone (NH Krystal) and it takes us 10 minutes to the Malecon at least and 20 to the South Side (where restaurants like La Palapa are). And, if we go to Nuevo Vallarta, it takes 10-15 to the south end (where Mayan Palace is) and 20 to the North end, the Riu. So, 30-45 minutes is more average with today's traffic.

Northern Michigan
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
20 helpful votes
3. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

Carey, will traffic still be real heavy the first week of April?

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
13,885 posts
79 reviews
250 helpful votes
4. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

Traffic is always heavy, especially mid-day. There are several bottlenecks. You can get lucky at certain times of the day but it´s unpredictable.

California
1 post
5. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

Is Puerto Vallarta or Nuevo Vallarta a better location to visit with kids 9-4 yrs old? We have never been to Mexico and are trying to plan a family trip there. I'm just not sure what is a good location to go to. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
13 reviews
23 helpful votes
6. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

IMO with kids, Nuevo is better. Kids love to play in the ocean and the beach is far superior in Nuevo than PV. You can still do an evening walking the Malecon, and do some excursions which will get you out of the resort.

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,663 posts
129 reviews
419 helpful votes
7. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

Our 15 year old son much preferred Nuevo over Puerto Vallarta...the beaches are much nicer and for teens there was more to do at the resort.

We prefer Puerto Vallarta over Nuevo because Nuevo doesn't have that Mexican charm that PV is famous for, but that said Nuevo does make for a very relaxing, lay on the beach and do nothing holiday.

Staying at Marival I always bused into PV at least once or twice during the week, ds had no interest in doing that at all.

Last time we were there we paid 220 pesos to taxi into southside of PV and it took about 40 mins.

San Antonio...
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
Level Contributor
15,664 posts
668 reviews
645 helpful votes
8. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

Traffic from PV to NV is pretty heavy in my opinion. Especially certain times of day. Lot of bottlenecks. It has taken me in private car anywhere from 2o minutes to over 45 minutes to go to or from NV to PV and vice versa.

Malecon area in my opinion always traffic ladden.

9. Re: how far is puerta vallarta/downtown from nuevo vallarta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 pm, September 21, 2009