We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from the riu

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Independence, MO
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from the riu

We are a family of 5 just returned from the Riu yesterday..

with 3children ages 2-14..

if you have any questions ?? ask here I will try to respond...

Great time!! Beautiful resort, You will enjoy yourself .. This is a great bargain for what you get..

Orland Park...
Level Contributor
751 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from the riu

Weird question, what type of beer did they serve in the room and at the bars? We have booked for a trip in January and I am not a big Corona drinker but a friend of ours hates it and I heard that is the only beer served?

Thanks

St. Louis
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from the riu

we are a family of 6 going. grandparents-60, our daughters-thirtysomething, and 2 grandchildren 9 & 11. we have 2 rooms booked. what kind of room did you have? what floor? good view? cool? no problems with room? did you email before you went and ask for a certain room?

did you spend most time at pools or beach? was it a problem that kids could not go in one pool?

did you do any tours with kids?

we are paying $3424 for all 6 of us including insurance. would you say this was a good deal or just average. 4 adults and 3 kids.

is there anything you wish you had taken and didn't? anything you took and could have left at home? anything you were really glad you took?

thanks for your time.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
4,576 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from the riu

Jadesmom = Yes it was Corona on tap and bottles in the room. However, it did taste fresher than the corona we get in bottles here. I drank mass quantities two weeks ago with a wedge squirt of lime in each 34oz thermo mugfull. Though I'm not a big fan of corona here - that worked fine for me.

Not better or worse - just a tad different and fresher.

Each room had a minifridge, so if worse came to worse, you could stock up on Dos XX or Tecate at beer store and keep it cold.

Independence, MO
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from the riu

tomatopa,

Yes you got a good deal!!

We took the las caletas tour, and loved every minute of it!!

booked through fun jet rep at the resort, many to choose from just go to your rep you will know where they are, they take care of the intro to the resort and hook you up for your return transfers.. I highly reccomend Las Caletas, our children absolutely loved it..

As far as eating off the resort, we do not do that, can't help you there. We mostly stayed at the resort (everything is already paid for) and nothing to do in Nuevo unless you want to spend $40 US round trip every time you go to downtown PV??

We did venture into the town of Bucerias. This to us was the REAL Mexico, and at thier little open air market we got great deals on every thing from t-shirts to Taxco 925 silver jewelry, Our 13 year old bought puca shell necklaces for just about everyone he knows for $2 US!! each.. You will not find better deals any where else. We went early am 10:00 and found ourselves the only tourists.. Kind of scary at first but everyone was nice and friendly.. They do have some restraunts right on

the beach offering great deals on lunch.. Beautiful views of the ocean and mountains.. I would say try Bucerias as well

Mentioned in this post
Bucerias
Bucerias
Riviera Nayarit, Mexico
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Taxco
Taxco
Guerrero, Mexico
Independence, MO
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from the riu

Glad we took our own shampoo/ bathing things.. I think everyone takes these any way?? Also very glad we took our alarm clock, one is not provided..also a travel iron if you worry about wrinkles you will be glad you brought one.. Oh and nexcare water bandages, they stick on you forever and with kids?? I got a small blister on my toe from my sandals and was happy to have those.. Also pool toys for kids Blow up rings to float around in those type of things.. Keep your kids out of the adult pool, Drunk guys mooning the crowd during activties, 1 guy even showed his "whole world" to everyones applause When I was at the adult pool bar getting a drink.. Remember though EVERYONE is on vacation I guess thats why you have the 2 different pools???

Gilbert, Arizona
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from the riu

Was it hard to get in the speciality restaurants? I am only there for 4 nights and would like to try them all? And did you find it hard to get a cheap cab into town?

St. Louis
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from the riu

cmflyn, when are you going to the Riu? we fly out of st louis july 20, 2005. i think there is only one reservation plave to eat.

Gilbert, Arizona
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from the riu

Tomatopa,

I am a travel agent and I contacted the hotel there are 3 places is what I was told after talking to the hotel we will see. I leave July 30, 2005- Aug 3, 2005. Again I am just going by what they said. Here is what the websight post.

���Rodizio���, Brazilian cuisine

* Grill-/Steakhouse (reservation not required)

and some Italian place is my understand. Maybe someone can confirm this for me as well. And the buffet as well.

St. Louis
Level Contributor
144 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from the riu

i think the other 2 you mentioned do not need reservations. i hope you are correct. last january we stayed at the bambu and there were 3 that we ate at...all very good and good service. last summer we stayed at the decameron and they had 4 or 5 and we liked them all. was disappointed about fewer here.