We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches swimmable on Pacific coast?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kansas
Level Contributor
52 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Beaches swimmable on Pacific coast?

We are considering a trip to Nuevo Vallarta (Puerto Vallarta) sometime next year probably b/t April and June. Is the water warm enough to swim in? Are the beaches good? My point of reference is Cancun, Florida gulf coast and Hawaii (as far as swimmable beaches). I absolutely love the Caribbean and Cancun beaches! Will I be happy with the other Mexican coast?

Also, what can anyone tell me about the Vallarta Palace? We've stayed at the Cancun Palace twice and I've stayed at the Sun Palace years ago with my family - all experiences were very positive.

We're looking to do the all-inclusive thing and it will be 3-5 couples going (no children) so all recommendations are welcome!

Riverside, CA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches swimmable on Pacific coast?

No, The beaches are nothing like Cancun! The water is cold & the visability is about 20 feet. We just returned from Nuevo Vallarta June 4th & at that time the water temp was 72-75. The beaches are 'muddy' sand not white at all! In fact the sand was some of the worst I have ever seen! We too travel to the caribben & Love it. I was quite disapointed with the beach. But we had a amazing pool so we spent all of our time there. We tried to spend a day at the beach but ended up staying about an hour. We had a wonderful time in Nuevo Vallarta but, again we spent all our days by the pool.

montreal
Level Contributor
874 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches swimmable on Pacific coast?

Hi kansas,.

It is true the beaches are not like Cancun. I was at the Royal decam. (many times) and the sand is golden but near the water it is a bit darker but not muddy. It is nice for walking as it is solid and velvety near the ocean. As far as the water temp it is exactely the same as Cancun. (I've been to Cancun several times) We had nice warm water in P.V. . Maybe 85 or so at the end of May and beginning of June. The waves are fantastic not to big but big enough and gentle. It all depends what is important for you. I really like the swimming in P.V. and at de royal decam they comb and clean the beach everyday. It is something I like. I like this hotel (royal decam) as it has an aldult section (no5) and an adult pool only. It is also all inclusive and the food is very good. If you look at the review of this hotel you will see that most people are very happy up there. Can't wait to go back.........

Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
12,356 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beaches swimmable on Pacific coast?

It depends on the time of year, and, where you are located (sheltered bay or not). Of course, it also depends on what you mean by "swimmable". If you like big surf, there are lots of places where the swimming is perfectly safe (no undertow) just forceful waves.

For me "swimmable" means "calm", so I love to go to Puerto Vallarta (we're from Canada), for at least a few weeks during the summer (late June through September) because our little patch of ocean (near Punta Mita) isn't sheltered at all and, in the winter, I can count on one hand the times I find the ocean calm enough for my tastes. However, if you don't mind big surf, there are some very nice beaches, some of which are a bit off-the-beaten track.

Two Hills, Alberta...
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches swimmable on Pacific coast?

We stayed in Nuevo Vallarta at the Riu Jalisco in December and we found the water to be wonderful. I am not a water person and usually do not go into the ocean or even a pool,because I hate going into cool water, but here I went into the ocean everyday. ( The pools were VERY cold. I went in once just to go up to the swim up bar. I have never drank a beer so fast before, bceause I just wanted to get out of there and warm up!) My kids absolutely loved the ocean. the waves weren't too big but just enough so they could body surf. There were even some times when it was quite calm for swimming. The beach is also great. Yeah it is not the white powder sand like in Cancun, but at our hotel it was great. The beach was very clean and so was the ocean(no rocks or weeds at all). The Riu is an all inclusive hotel. We traveled in a big group of families, singles and some older couples. Everyone had a fabulous time. The food was good, the service was excellent!