We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshares

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Timeshares

I am quite new to the timeshare concept and want to learn a little more about it...primarily what is a good price?!? I have recently returned from a wonderful week-long stay at the beautiful Mayan Palace in Nuevo Vallarta and went to a timeshare presentation while I was there for the Grand Mayan property in NV. I hadn't really thought about buying into the timeshare world prior to leaving on my trip, so, needless to say, I did no homework, whatsoever, before I left. My wife and I went to the presentation, which is indeed 3-4 hours, contrary to what they tell you it being 90 minutes, and we came away with a two bedroom unit every second year, plus the extra Vacation Fair week and the golf package for 17000 dollars, giving us the option of keeping the property for 100 years and being able to will it to our children when we become too weak to crawl to the beach! Now let me say, that we definitely intend on returning to our home property as we were extremely impressed with the quality of the property, but with all purchases such as this, we are left wondering...was this a good deal! I know we have committed ourselves and cannot turn back now, but I would like to get some feedback from fellow timeshare owners at this resort as to what their "good price" was, just to be curious. I appreciate you honesty in this matter.Cheers

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,418 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshares

I would like to learn more also. My husband walked out of the sales pitch,saying "what part of NO don't they get". 1st and last time for him. People on our last trip got one at the Mayan. They said they paid $6,800 for 2 weeks, plus l week bonus.Then if they pay a transfer fee of $497.00 they get 2 more weeks at another city,with maintenance fee of $325.00. All US dollars. I couldn't believe this!! so have been trying to find more info. I have heard that no Non-Mexican can really Own property.. Is this true?. That the maintenance fee keeps going up and up, and turn out to be monthly not yearly fee? Also I heard what they got is called a" Holiday timeshare", left over bookings!! and when you try to book your week, they are all full.!! True??

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
76 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshares

I have heard similar stories about this type of "bargain" sales where you buy excess time or unused space at prices around 7000 plus booking costs and maintenance fees only to find out that when they try to book time somewhere they are not able to. This is what I was trying to avoid when I bought mine and that was to buy from the actual resort to ensure some type of guarantee, if there ever is one possible, to get a room when I like.

I do have some friends that purchased timeshares in Mexico over the past few years at the Mayan Palace but are too closed mouth about the costs to get the truth from them. They have been back to PV every year for the past four and have never had a problem booking when and where they want.

I guess I will learn more as I go, and I will be going back as I truly love the PV experience and the Mayan Palace atmosphere. I am just curious about what others have experienced about costs to see where I fall in line.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,418 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshares

Time share people are now allowed inside Airport door,just past customs. Just a heads-up!! Your bus transfer people are outside,the next door. Don't be misled!! Have you bought a Time share?? do you get to use it when you want?? What are the yearly fees??

Granite Bay, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshares

My husband and I bought into a time share at the

Grand Velas in Nuevo Vallarta in 2002. We bought 25 weeks plus 25 more bonus weeks for $14,000. That same amount of time is now going for about triple the price. We were actually looking to buy a time share when we did because P.V. is our favorite place to vacation. We bought in the pre-construction phase and a lot of promises were made that did not hold up when we returned for a visit in 2003. After substantial complaining, the hotel decided to keep the promises that they had made to pre-construction buyers. I think the main thing to look out for when buying a timeshare are the extra costs. The lump sum payment you make is just the tip of the iceberg. The maintenance fees can, and will, go up. The all inclusive fees that sounded so good originally can, and will, go up. I think people also overlook the costs of airfare when they buy into a timeshare. All in all, even though we bought into a fabulous resort, the vacations are still extremely costly. We booked a vacation for our family in Cancun at an all inclusive not related to a time share and the trip cost almost exactly the same as our timeshare vacation (without a lifetime commitment). I, personally, am trying to make the best of it. I do tell my friends, though, that I wouldn't do it again.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,418 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshares

pv, thanks so much for the info. Grand Velas is the place we walked out of,as they were so rude. Do your weeks, give you 2weeks per year for 25 years? What are the Maintenance fee per year? thanks again for the info.

Boston, MA
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshares

Hi, I have been a timeshare owner for almost 20 years. I have travelled all over the world using my traded week. I am going to the resort you just bought into on Dec. 12th. I am happy to hear that it is beautiful. This is my second time exchanging there, the first time I had to bail out and gave my trip to a friend. As for your purchase, I have to say that I bought my timeshare for $3,000 back then and have totally gotten my money out of my investment. However you need to consider a few things when and if you decide to bank a week with RCI

and not use your home resort that year. RCI requires yearly membership in order to bank your week. Next you have to be current with your condo fees in order to exchange. Plus there's the exchange fee RCI charges. International is $170 I think and domestic is $100+ So add all that up and you have to decide if you made a good investment. My advise to you in hind sight would have been to buy into a less desireble location. Like the flat lands of Kansas (just kidding) and then bank your week for the next millenium, and exchange to some of the best resorts in the world for the rest of your life. That's what I have been doing for 20 yeara. RCI has changed a few things since I became a member. They now have points, not sure I what you would have. But anyway you made a good move I think. I assume you are young and you will get your money out of it. My opinion in general is that it forces you to take a vacation. Let me know if you have any other questions. BTW what is the Mayan like at night?

Granite Bay, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeshares

We can use the 50 weeks we purchased as fast as we want to, but we must use one per year. So far that hasn't been a problem. We used one in 2003 taking our teen-agers and we just used three more weeks this month with friends. I think our terms are a little different since we are pre-construction owners. Our maintenance fee is 20% lower than other buyers (this year our fee came to approximately $800/week). We also had to pay all inclusive fees of $78/per person/per day (that was also a discounted price). We talked to other people staying at the resort through RCI and their all inclusive fees were up to $125/per person/per night. Being that we were given 2 massages per room per day (pre-construction people), we felt that we made out like bandits compared to other guests. The Grand Velas is beautiful. It is the nicest place we've stayed ever (and we travel a lot). The food and drinks are out of this world. The only problem is, unless you do have a time share, it is totally unaffordable for most people (the rate for two people per night in the least expensive room is $600). I guess I have a good trade to offer someone because anyone that trades on my contract gets the lower prices and the massages. I let my contract with RCI expire, because I feel I have the best place to stay already.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,418 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeshares

Thanks for the info. Iam trying to get lots of info., before going into anything blind. What is RCI? is this a company that you must deal with to trade weeks? and How much does a trade cost you, and how much trouble to do this?? thanks again

Level Contributor
56 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timeshares

We bought 3 timeshares on e-bay. Two in Cancun an one at Grand Velas. Dirt cheap. But you need to know how they work.

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timeshares

We bought a two bedroom in Kauaii that sits facing the ocean. If we were to get a "hotel room" it would cost upwards of 450 a day. We have returned five times and have brought friends and family each time, allowing them to afford a beautiful vacation. You do the math. The maintenance fee is $800 yearly and has gone up every year but it is still worth it. Last year we traded through RCI for Club INtrawest in Vancouver, which sits atop the Sheraton Hotel and were treated like royalty. The room at discount prices was $250.00 a night, again do the math. We have just booked a vacation at Club Intrawest in Whistler for September. A two bedroom and my family is joining us for free. I tried booking the same two bedroom on the discount sites on the web, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotel.com and it was over $5,000 for the week for the same acommodations. I paid $149.00 to trade my week through RCI. April 1st we will be arriving for our much anticipated week at the Grand Velas, which we again traded through RCI for $179.00. The all inclusive fee to us was $125.00 per person per day, total cost $1700.00 for all the food and drink we want, plus the spa. To book at this hotel is again over $5,000 for the week. There are plenty of places out there that you don't want to trade for. You have to do your homework, spend time on line and talk to helpful people like "PV" here in the forum. We are just reaching retirement age but want to party and this affords us luxury when we wouldn't otherwise spend $600.00 a night at a hotel or resort. I'm just getting the hang of this and I think we're doing pretty good. Lots of luck and enjoy your time share, don't look back, search the world!!!!