We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Negative reports about Grand & Club Marival ----

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Negative reports about Grand & Club Marival ----

I have been reading the reviews about the Grand & Club Marival and they have been very negative. We have reservations there in March and now I am starting to have second thoughts. How can you help me. People are talking about getting sick!!! When you read reports like this it makes you think twice. Help --- Thanks Patt

Winnipeg, Manitoba
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Negative reports about Grand & Club Marival ----

Going back to the Marival on Jan. 28th ��� stayed there last year (Feb. 04) and again in March 2001 ��� we love it there and have not had any problems with anything ��� the service is good, people are friendly (even the guests !!) ��� the only thing that would make this a better place would be if the beer was in bigger glasses and not draft (personally I prefer bottled beer) ��� but as others have stated, bring a plastic mug of your own and it���s almost like home.

I���d like to hear a little more about the Upgrade to the Club side of the resort (for those that have been there lately); we���re booked into the Grand side in a superior room as the rooms on the club side formerly were second-rate in my opinion, but from the pictures I���ve seen on the website recently of the Club make me think I���m going to upgrade to a 1BD suite over there ��� actually I���m hoping to get it for free since it is our 3rd trip there (but I���d pay for it if I had to).

Also, what restaurants/bars are closed ? are they still closed ? have they done anything to the pools ? is the pool at the Grand still the Activities pool ?

Somebody asked about the signature $98 upgrade, here is what you get:

starclass inclusions, preferred reservations in the �� la carte restaurants, free internet service (1 hour/stay), use of bathrobe, nightly turn-down service, late check-out (if available) or guaranteed Hospitality Room, 1 souvenir photo (per room), cold towel service, free in-room safe, 15% discount on spa services, 10% discount on hairdressing services & clothing at logo shop, free upgrade to Comprehensive PLUS (plan 4) insurance when Comprehensive (plan 3) is purchased.

I didn���t upgrade our trip because: - I have never had a problem making reservations and never had to wait more than 10 minutes, the internet is only about $10 for an hour, I don���t use a bathrobe, I don���t want people in my room to turn down my bedding (just come in and clean at 11:00am and then leave for the day ��� thanks !), the late check out would be nice (otherwise it is $25 for a couple of hours) but that all depends on your flight times, the safe is about $3.00 per day (so US$21 for the week), I���ll get a massage one day (so that would save me about $9.00 based on a $60 massage), I���m not getting my hair done there and I don���t buy too many souvenirs at the hotel and finally I carry private insurance so instead of us spending $200 Canadian on this upgrade, we���ll spend $50-100 US while we���re down there instead.

London Ont Can
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Negative reports about Grand & Club Marival ----

pegger....my wife and I just came back from Marival on Jan 19 I've been there before and it was fanatastic this time...the club side is all suites now except for the rooms over the buffet....the rooms have been renovated but the views are lousy.....the grand side is the best for the price.....they won't upgrade you to a suite even if you beg....we tried....tell your tour operator to inform the hotel you're a three peater and they might upgrade you before you go.....but they are booked solid.....every bit of construction is complete... except they are building a big condo developement on the north side of the hotel so you don't won't a room near there....food and service was excellent.....there were alot of young kids....the club side is the adult side.... the place is immaculate...never saw any critters....say hi to Thomas, Roberto and Jamie for me....tell them hi from Paul the dart champion.....enjoy....wish I was going back ..ps take the whale and dolphin watching/snorkeling tour....it's a blast on a catamaran booze boat

Houston
Level Contributor
6 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Negative reports about Grand & Club Marival ----

Negative review about the Marival--NO WAY! We have been to Puerto Vallarta many times and the best we have found is the Marival. We stayed there in July 2003 (offseason) and had a great time. Food choices were great and the rooms were very nice for an all inclusive. Staff were very freindly and grounds kept immaculate. The beach is the greatest! We are planning a trip back this summer and it looks like we will be repeating our stay at the Marival. It will be the 1st time that we have stayed twice at the same property in Puerto Vallarta.

BTW--there is a Wal-Mart and a Sam's Club in town, that you can buy additional food stuff at, if you desire.

Z-Man

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Vallarta
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco, Mexico
killarney, mb...
Level Contributor
187 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Negative reports about Grand & Club Marival ----

Just home from the Marival on Saturday. Best Vacation ever. I would highly recommend the Marival to anyone. We stayed on the Grand side with a wonderful view of the ocean. There is a hotel being built on the other side so I wouldn't have wanted to stay on that side. All the restaurants are open and all the food was exceptional. Our favorite was the Italian but we liked them all. We had wonderful service from all of the staff. A little tip goes a long way to keep your drinks coming. Sometimes were weren't even finished and the waiters would be bringing us 2 more. Great service. The buffet restaurant always had lots to chose from. We mainly ate breakfast there and at the a la cartes for suppers. There is a snack bar that has great mid-day snacks, every day I had to have the taco chips, salsa and gucamole, yummmy. The wood fired pizzas were awesome as well. We did check out a suite on the Club side while we were there. Would be good for families travelling with kids but the view wasn't that great.

We had a wonderful time at the marival and will be definitely going there again.