We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Velas room question

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Nuevo Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Velas room question

Hi everyone!

This is my first post. I've been reading for a while and really have learned a lot about the area and Grand Velas in particular, so thank you!

I'm hoping you can help me with a question I have regarding the rooms at Grand Velas. We just booked an extra vacation through RCI for March 2006. We reserved a 2 bedroom suite with 12/4 occupancy with 2 queen beds in each bedroom. I'm wondering if someone who owns at Grand Velas might know which room category this is according to the hotel website. Someone at RCI told me it had a 12 person jacuzzi on the balcony, but wasn't 100% sure. If she's right, it sounds like that's the Governor's Suite, but according to the website, the GS has 1 king in one bedroom, and a max. occupancy of 5 adults. It's a little confusing.

If anyone has inside info, it would be greatly appreciated!

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,334 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Velas room question

The info. I have on hand shows the G.Ste. has 2 queens (also the parlor ste) and the others offer 1 king. No mention of the number of guests/room though. sorry

denver
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Velas room question

ask pv7 he is an owner there, i think he said it is just 2 parlor suites adjoining

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Velas room question

I asked this question myself of RCI. They told me that they go by room size, square footage, and what's available to trade. So, if you match the square footage to say the Governor Suite to what RCI has given you it will give you a good idea of what you're getting. However -- Chanook, who happily is just arriving as we speak -- traded for a two bedroom through RCI and was given two adjoining Parlour Suites, when he thought he was getting the larger Governor with the outside jacuzzi. Two Parlour Suites would also have a 12/4 rating technically. Two queen beds and one pull out (6 persons) one bathroom (privacy for four), times two would be 12/4. While I was there we met a couple who traded through RCI and they did receive the Governor Suite, they were traveling with another couple and paid for the four adult AIs. I traded a two bedroom and was told by RCI I would have the "master bedroom" with the outside Jacuzzi. I received a Master Suite (Studio), no outside jaccuzzi, which was just fine, it was a beautiful room in the center of the hotel. So, my advice is ask RCI what the square footage of the room is, and then call the hotel itself and ask what you're getting. There are a lot more Parlour Suites and Mater Suites than Governor or Ambassador and the Governor or Ambassador had to be available to trade. Chanook was trying to talk the hotel into giving him the larger suite, we'll see how he does!!! Since you booked an "Extra Vacation", my guess is you're getting two Parlours but I would love to hear I'm wrong!!!

Granite Bay, CA
Level Contributor
582 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Velas room question

We are owners at the Grand Velas, but not members of RCI. All I can offer is that I think the hotel does not give out many extras unless they need to. For that reason, I would guess that you would be getting two adjoining parlour suites. They are very large and comfortable. My family of five had plenty of room in one parlour suite. You might get lucky with the larger room but, in any case, you will love this resort!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Velas room question

Thanks to all for the info. I called Grand Velas directly and got it straight from the horse's mouth. In case anyone else is wondering, here's what they told me.

2 br. max occupancy 12/4 is 1551 square feet, and is comprised of 2 adjoining parlour suites. It has 2 queens in each bedroom and a total of 2 bathrooms.

2 br. max occupancy 10/6 is 1502 sq. ft. and is comprised of 1 parlour and one master adjoining. It has 2 queens in one br. and one king in the other. It has a total of 3 bathrooms.

1 br. 6/3 is a parlour with either 2 queens or 1 king

S (studio) is the master suite.

Maybe we'll get upgraded to the governor...I can dream!

Toms River, NJ
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Velas room question

I just got back from the GV last night. I will post a longer reply later but I wanted to update everyone on the room situation.

We had confirmed with the resort that we were booked in two adjoining parlor suites as a two bedroom. I tried to get the upgrade to a true two bedroom based on the fact that I was traveling with a 4 and a 6 year old and I did not like the idea of them having access to an exterior door. The AI we were quoted was $185 per adult and $60 per chilp per day. (RCI quoted 125 & 60 but my confirmation listed the week at 185 & 60) When we arrived we had a slight "situation" as they wanted to charge us for four adults even though they (the GV) had quoted us the prices above in one of the emails I had with the resort, luckily I brought copies of the emails) After about 45 minutes of the good cop, bad cop routine, we ended up getting an ambasador suite (2 queen beds and a pullout with a small deck on the first level and a HUGH patio upstairs on the roof of the resort with the 12 person jacuzzi, six lounge chairs and table and chairs for six. If you take a look at the back side of the hotel we were on the right hand side, right next to the gold ball (Room 927). The view was stunning. As far as the upgrade, a couple we met did have the option of the Governers suite through RCI but they would have had to pay for 4 adults instead of 2 adults and 2 kids, so they opted for a parlour suite and they said it was fine. I will be back later to update everyone on the trip!

-John

New Jersey
Level Contributor
1,464 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Velas room question

Good thing you brought all your email confirmations along! It sounds like the suite you had was fabulous. We're traveling with 4 adults, though, so we really need the 2 separate bedrooms. We'll hope to be upgraded once we get there, but if not, I know we'll still have a great time. Can't wait to hear all about your trip!

denver
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Velas room question

John I had some problems with the resort and had the play good cop bad cop as well. Didn't it irritate you that you had to do that with a 5 star resort?

Toms River, NJ
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Velas room question

45 minutes to check in was more then just a little frustrating to say the least...