We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Topic
Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

Hi everyone. I'm headed to Marival July 5-9 with two teenagers. Everything I've read and seen sounds very encouraging. I'm a little worried about the weather at that time as I now understand it's their rainy season from June - Sept. Has anyone ever visited in early July? Any comments about the weather? Alos, I read the post about the assault on the beach and that's got me worried quite a bit about my 17 year old daughter walking around by herself. Of course, she won't be out on the beach alone at night, and we'll be together during the day, but it just makes me pause about her even walking back to our room to take a nap! Can anyone ease my discomfort with this? Thanks very much.

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
123 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

We just spent 2 weeks at the resort (last 2 weeks of March)

We had 2 13 year old girls with us and they were very comfortable walking around during the day. ALso at night, but only on the hotel grounds. We did venture onto the beach at night but as a group. There was alot of Security around at all times. We did feel very safe. We had no problems with the girls walking back to the room during the day by themselves. I too read all the assault notes and was a little nervous. It was a horrible thing to have happen. You need to take the same precautions that you would in a busy city at night. I hope you have a great time. We loved the resort

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

ML 2004:

thanks for the info. will be on my game.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

CfromC: You will love the Marival! Go and enjoy it. Just be aware that is the key!

Have not gone to Mexico until late Sept. so can't help on the weather.

Remember to take the Thermo mugs, trust me! Lol

Chicago
Level Contributor
115 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

Thanks JoLee! I will bring my mugs. We bring them every year to Jamaica, same deal. I'm starting to really look forward to going to the Marival.

Burlington Ontario
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

We just got back from 1 week at the Marival and had a great time! The resort is beautiful and very, very clean! Lots of security people walking around all the time. We felt very safe. I'm sure you'll love it!

wisconsin
Level Contributor
323 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

Hi Chicago,

I'm from Wisconsin, 60 miles north of Milwaukee. We were at the Marival April 2-9 2005. We usually vacation in the Cancun Myan Rivieria area and this was our first trip to to the western coast of Mexico.

I do admit that there were more people walking on the beach by Marival than I am use to in the Cancun area. I noticed there seemed to be more local peolpe on the beach also than in Cancun.

I felt very safe both on the beach and in the resort. It is easy to tell where the Marival chairs etc. are on the beach and there are security guards watching to be sure there are no problems. The guards also watch to be sure that who ever comes up from the beach to the resort is vactioning there and has the correct bracelet on.

All of the standard rooms can be accessed right from within the hotel. The villas and suites do require you to walk outside to access them. I don't think I would have walked to them by myself after dark. This never seemed to be a problem as there always seemed to be other people around to walk with.

During the day I frequently walked around the beach and resort by myself and felt very comfortable.

There are venders etc. that walk the beach but they do not bother you if you don't act interested. No venders can come up on the hotel property. All the hotel staff have uniforms and name tags so caution your children to vbe sure if they get advice or service the resort folks are in uniform with a name tag. Guests all have to have bracelets on so they can always be sure who ever they are talking with is a reg. guest.

We did ride the bikes from the resort off the properety and I certainly would not let the children or teens go off by themselves.

I too was a little concerned about the assault prior to leaving for Mexico. I guess it is good for all of us to remember not to trust all strangers.

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Have the kids take the same thermal mugs. The washing of glasses is terrible at many Mexican resorts and this resort does not use disposable cups. This is the one down side of this resort.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
12,185 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marival Resort & Suites (Weather & Safety Issues)

Told you so!! LOL. they sure do need throw away plastic glasses. After seeing them trying to wash inches of sand out of the glasses, I got the themo mugs !! A must.!! LOL

Cheers, Joyce