We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

We had the unfortunate experience of finding bed bugs in our room (2007) at the RIU Palace Pacifico during our stay over Christmas 2017. Has anyone else experienced bed bugs at the RIU Palace? Hotel management did move quickly to change our room, but the company has told us while there were bed bugs in our room - that they are not the result of hotel cleaning practices.

52 replies to this topic
Aylmer, Canada
Level Contributor
2,759 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

They could have been introduced into the room in someone's luggage...

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
4,756 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

If there was a major problem it would be in the reveiws. And yes, bed bugs probably came in from a previous traveler.

Edited: 8:36 pm, January 12, 2018
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

I actually did write a review for TripAdvisor including a photo of one bed bug and it was deleted by Tripadvisor. I have since written a second review - including the corporate response that confirmed the bed bugs. That review is "pending review".

Westlock, Canada
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
1 review
4. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

As in any hotel they can come from anywhere from anyone and anyone's luggage. A 1 star or the Ritz in NYC. They happen and how I judge it is how they reacted. They moved you quickly and probably fumigated the room (hopefully) and that is what they should be expected to do.\

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
5. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

It's possible. The thing is one family member has more than 50 bites and another has more than 20 bites.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
6. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

Local management worked quickly to change our room, which we appreciated. I wrote about our experience here: https:/…

Edmonton
Level Contributor
155 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

Keep luggage off the floor so you don't bring them home. They can hide in baseboards and headboards. I work in healthcare and people bring bed bugs and lice all the time into the hospital. Hotels are the same.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,756 posts
15 reviews
8. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

I think the hotel has reacted well and done the best to their ability. No need to write a bad review on them. Number of bites does not reflect poor cleaning. As others says it happens everywhere. The fact they changed your room so quickly is to be congratulated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

Yes. Thank you. We travel overseas a few times a year, and feel fortunate that this is the first time we've knowingly encountered bed bugs (I've done everything from back pack around Europe and the Middle East in my 20's, to adventure travel in Central America with family, to work in areas like North Sumatra, Indonesia). We always keep clothing off bedding and the floor. We typically check bedding and mattresses (but not well enough in this case), and we bag and wash/dry everything possible on high heat. We've also thrown out our luggage, and will be monitoring things closely at home. I appreciate that you work in hospital and have dealt with incredibly challenging situations.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
31 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico

I actually didn't write a bad review. I wrote a fair review - talking about what a great time we had - the food, entertainment, location - and how quickly management responded. I feel that RIU Hotels & Resorts need a better process to address public health issues i.e., simple things like providing extra plastic laundry bags to guests to help reduce the chance of spreading bed bugs.

Reply to: Bed Bugs at RIU Palace Pacifico
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted