We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Penasco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

Hi,

Traveling with kids maybe to Puerto Penasco. Will be driving from Albuquerque. Concerns due to recent Mexico violence.

Will be going mid march during spring break and staying at one of the Sonoran resorts.

Concerned about driving; safety of my family while driving and while we are there; driving my car; safety of my car etc. etc.

We were invited by family to join them on vacation, I don't know if we should accept or decline.

Would like to get opinions from those that have traveled in the last month or two, or from those that live there part time. Is it all hype, or should we be concerned?

Thanks - Concerned mom

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
15,393 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

See your other post. Post your inquiry in the Baja -> Tijuana forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g150776-i761-Tijua…

Puerto Penasco is far from Tijuana, and an entirely different atmosphere of calm.

Edited: 3:18 pm, April 12, 2011
San Diego, Ca
1 post
Save Reply
12. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

Gaba or anyone else who has gone to pp in the last month, can u please update the safety/violence there. We are scheduled to go in two weeks but am seriously considering not going. Kids are upset but safety comes first.

Thank you

San Diego...
1 post
Save Reply
13. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

We are planning the same trip from San Diego to Puerto Penasco with kids. Let me know if you've received any helpful information.

Thank you.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

What route are you taking from san Diego .. Google maps gave me a dirt road ...can anyone post there route

Escondido...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

I have driven 3 times from San Diego (Every time a different route, I'm fine tuning the best) I will be driving again on May 19Th - If you are unfamiliar with driving in Mexico I Recommend you, take the long way... All the way east on the 8 to Arizona and south on the 85, I will attach a Map for you. The Google route is the most efficient, but I recommend you stick with the longer "Gringo" way. If you are unfamiilar with driving in Mexico and their highways, you will be better by taking the longer route 85 % of the drive is in the US with only 15% in Mexico the last 45 Min, See this map. Enjoy!

puerto-penasco.com/images/maps/california.pdf

New Mexico
Level Contributor
127 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

The end of this route looks like the same route we'd take from Phoenix, correct? We are planning a trip in early July. My husband isn't worried about safety, but I admit to some concerns given the latest State Dept. warnings. Appreciate your post and any other advice.

Pasadena, California
Level Contributor
24 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

That's a great map with directions! I'm driving to PP from TJ? Any suggestions? I went on mapquest and the route given is to take highway 2 in TJ through Mexicali until you hit highway 8 in Sonora, is the best route? Is it the shortest (driving in Mexico)? Is it the safest? And of course we're driving during the day. Do you know anything about the Rumorosa highway? Is this part of the 2 highway? I'd really appreciate any info. on a route from TJ to PP.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
61 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

It's up to you which route you want to take- fastest or most in the US. I've heard from many people from California they take the new Coastal Highway, but many people want to drive in the states the longest, so they take I-8 to Highway 85, then south through Sonoyta to Penasco. If you don't mind driving in Mexico, here's a good site on how to take the correct turns to get on the Coastal Highway: rubi803.com/Rubi_803_-_A_Great_Place_to_Be/G…

Have a great trip- we love Rocky Point/Penasco and go down a lot and feel completely safe.

19. Re: Another post asking about safety to and in Puerto Penasco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:16 pm, October 22, 2012