We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Kelowna, Canada
3 posts
Save Topic
US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me what the regulations are re bringing groceries from the US into Mexico. We are going to Puerto Penasco for 2 weeks and would like to bring our own food supplies (meat, fruit, vegetables, snacks, etc) from Costco in Phoenix .

On a different subject, what is the diving in the area like? Any recommended sights?

Thanks, Cam

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
220 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

We have brought plenty of food with us, no problems. There is a good Super Ley (grocery store)in town (takes US dollars) so we bring all the bulk items from Sam's club. And use Super Ley for milk. eggs, tortillas, ect.

The drive is really easy and full of cactus and scenery on the US side. Once past the boarder in Mexico it is a straight, boring drive to Puerto Penasco.

Phoenix AZ
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

Mexican law:

1. 10kg canned food allowed, (no meat, seeds plants allowed)

2. 3L of alcohol allowed

But mexico is relaxed when it comes to food items, they don't inforce it.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
246 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

Hello, I see your food questions were answered. Regarding diving, I don't think there are any really interesting places to dive or snorkel. It seems pretty much just beach. No shipwrecks, caves, etc. to my knowledge and I've been down there a lot. To me, the main attraction is being on the beach and getting to enjoy the local culture. I do like to recommend El Capitan Restaurant at susnset for margaritas, etc. high on a hill overlooking the water. It is near the Shrimp Market in Old Town which you will also want to visit. If you want to watch a football game, Latitude 31 Bar-Restaurant is a good place, also near the Shrimp Market and El Capitan. You can also go out on a party boat and enjoy a sunset cruise. Have fun!

Kelowna, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

Thanks for the tips... much appreciated!!

Cheers!

Oracle
Level Contributor
6 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

We never bother to bring food items and believe it to be a waste of time and energy. We look forward to purchasing fresh seafood in old town and enjoy the bakeries and produce available.

Tucson
Level Contributor
310 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

We took a boat tour to Bird Island and I snorkeled with sea lion pups a few years ago. The youngsters were very curious and rubbed their bodies against me in the water while the adults sunned themselves on the shore.

7. Re: US/ Mexico border crossing regulations re foodstuff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:52 am, April 26, 2011