We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lukeville vs Nogales - Which is a better choice now?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Topic
Lukeville vs Nogales - Which is a better choice now?

My husband and I plan to drive to Mexico in mid November. We have always entered through Nogales but have heard that Lukeville is easier and less busy. We will be coming down with our truck loaded for the winter season. Of course we will have to get our vehicle importacion as well. Has anyone used both crossings and which one would you recommend? Thanks so much!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
San Mateo...
Destination Expert
for Rincon de Guayabitos
Level Contributor
4,678 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lukeville vs Nogales - Which is a better choice now?

Here is a message I wrote for another board last week:

I have driven this route the last 4 years, this year I will drive to Nogales because of the long stretches of road without a lot of traffic,towns and gas stations... I believe Highway 15 will be safer this trip because reports are comming in that highway patrolmen are parked along the route...suerte

Here is one I wrote today:

Crossed at Nogales 6 AM this morn was on the road at 7AM after getting tourist card and car permit...No problems at all, road in great shape,detour in Navojoa, main drag torn up...3 police check points along the highway made me feel more secure...when they looked down and saw the Calif. plates they just waived me through,unlike the Mexican plated cars that were being searched...have a good trip...

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
17,197 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lukeville vs Nogales - Which is a better choice now?

Where are you going? The Lukeville crossing is very far west from Nogales. Unless you're going to Puerto Penasco, you don't want to cross there. If you need a vehicle importation permit, you can only get that at KM 21 checkpoint south of Nogales. The crossing you want to use is the West Mariposa Rd crossing in west Nogales which takes you directly on to Hwy 15 south.

Mentioned in this post
Puerto Penasco
Puerto Penasco
Sonora, Mexico
Mariposa
Mariposa
California
Vancouver, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lukeville vs Nogales - Which is a better choice now?

Thanks so much for your reply. We have driven down many times through Nogales and we are heading for north of PV. However, we will be travelling through the U.S. down the I-5. We had heard that Lukeville has less people and easier to cross there. We didn't realize that it didn't have a vehicle importacion, which we will need to get as we plan to spend about 7 months in Mexico. Thanks for your feedback. Your time is much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
4. Re: Lukeville vs Nogales - Which is a better choice now?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 16, 2011