We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from RP...all well!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Penasco hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
california
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Just back from RP...all well!

Just returned yesterday from Sonora Sea resort/condo in Rocky Point. Haven't been in several years just didn't feel it was maybe safe down there...but we were pleasantly surprised! NO signs of any problems at all at border, roads or any establishments. The locals all seem very appreciative of the tourist and welcoming. Maybe all the bad reports have just be mis founded regarding RP as we sure felt all was well. We have always stayed at Sonora's but there sure are some fabulous looking places along Sandy Beach area. Great food in most of the places and lots of fun. Enjoy!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,171 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

Nice to read (another) positive report, sgtjackson!

We were down at Sandy Beach over Memorial Day Weekend and had a fantastic time. It was nice to see the beach and resorts busy with tourists, as last year the place seemed so empty. Agree, we had no issues with our travels down, around, and back, everyone was as friendly and welcoming as always.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

It is indeed all well in Rocky Point. Back from a long weekend with family and several thousand Roger Clyne fans and so far no one has had anything negative to say about the adventure. No checkpoints, no bad guys, no crooked cops, Just another great time in this little drinking villiage with a fishing problem.. Here's to life!

california
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

Glad you had a good trip.......what do you mean by a "fishing problem"?

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

sometimes the fishing gets in the way of the drinking....lol..

Phoenix AZ
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

As they say tourists are not targeted by drug gangs so you don't have to worry about anything when you got to rocky point. But police there is in war with drug cartel, police chief just got shot with AK47, he is OK in hospital. But there is nothing to worry about.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
111 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

Why is your name VivaPenasco when you seem to clearly want to deter people from going? You have nothing positive or even constructive to say it seems. I am ok with you giving facts and advice but stop the patronizing posts please.

Phoenix AZ
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

It is fair to represent the situation as it is, so that the tourist can make a right decision.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
111 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

Interesting....AS WE JUST RETURNED AND ALL WAS WELL!!! Now, I just know that you are a troll and here to stir the pot.

People, we just returned from a very lovely 4 days in RP and NEVER saw anything unusual or scary. We felt very safe. There weren't any pulling over or shake downs going on. There weren't any gun fights or beheadings. There was one border patrol check point in AZ. That's it. Talked to many locals while we were there and they all said the media has completely overblown any violence. There has still not been any violence to tourists. Can't say that about AZ...

Viva, do your research if you are truly trying to help and get lost if you aren't.

Phoenix AZ
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

I said that tourists are not targeted so make your own opinion. You went there 4 days and now you know everything? So if anyone tries to say something negative you call him troll. So in your opinion Rocky Point is safe paradise!

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
111 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from RP...all well!

Nope, never professed to know everything (as you did) about RP. I am just calling it as I see it. You are taking one media story and sensationalizing it. Unless you are a mexican citizen and know more, you know nothing more than the rest of us and are speculating. To profess you do, is ridiculous, unless of course, you are indeed in the thick of it. I just don't think it is right for you or anyone else to spout speculation, rumor and half-truths to scare people. Just give correct and accurate information. That's all.