We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
111 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

Hi all-

We are planning our first trip with another couple to PP (a total of 4 kids, 4 adults) June 24th for 3 days. I keep hearing (and I know this has been discussed before) that we should rethink taking this trip, especially now in light of the new immigration bill. I haven't heard of people having any real trouble ie. kidnapping or worse, but I have heard of people getting pulled over by cops that want bribes. I was actually advised by a friend of mine (he's mexican) to bring cash in case this happens. We will be mindful not to speed. Here are my questions...

1. Take one suburban for all of us or take 2 cars and caravan? Will is make a difference?

2. Is there any real danger? Will we most likely be ok or are pullover/bribes somewhat to be expected?

3. How long does it take to get there from Chandler?

4. What is the name of the restaurant that is on stilts? Is it worth going to?

Thanks for all help!

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,148 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

There's really not any new news about any problems. People in Mexico are not happy about Arizona's immigration law, but that has nothing to do with going to PP. Read the "Top Questions" in the upper right hand corner when in this forum. Has advise about what to do if stopped by police. But that's not likely to happen. No recent reports.

Getting Mexican insurance on your vehicle is mandatory. Read about that in the posts "Top Questions" as well. People report it is about a 3-hour drive from Chandler. Take the short cut through Maricopa:

maps.yahoo.com/…

Edited: 4:31 pm, May 07, 2010
tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,148 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

The map I included above does not show the highway to PP, but it's obvious once you get to Lukeville. Drive slow through Sonoyta Sonora.

Phoenix, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Phoenix, Puerto Penasco
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

1. Take one suburban for all of us or take 2 cars and caravan? Will is make a difference?

The main difference would be having to pay for two car insurance policies instead of one.

2. Is there any real danger? Will we most likely be ok or are pullover/bribes somewhat to be expected?

I have never felt any danger at any time. No need to bribe anyone. If you get pulled over, politely ask to go to the police station and that should be the end of that.

3. How long does it take to get there from Chandler?

It should take you about 4.5 hours. Zero tolerance for speeding around Ajo and Why.

4. What is the name of the restaurant that is on stilts? Is it worth going to?

Don’t know. Look in Puerto-penasco.com restaurant directory to see if any of them ring a bell.

Prescott, Arizona
Level Contributor
295 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

The Restaurant is "The Point" or as it's now called... "The Point Of View Lounge "

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
111 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

Thanks for the replies. Haven't heard of any retaliation in regards to the new immigration bill as of yet but it is concerning us.

Is The Point recommended? Haven't heard anything about it but keep seeing pics of it.

Fort Collins, CO
Level Contributor
156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

Our family - with two teenaged boys -- ate at the Point in March. We enjoyed our meal and the view. It was a couple bucks more expensive than some others such as Sr. Amigos, but we didn't feel it was overpriced.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

There is very minimal violence in RP. There is more that takes place in Chandler. I recommend you read this press release that was issued for Labor Day weekend last year and is still valid for this coming Memorial Wknd and the summer. www.azmc.org/story/?ID=457 It talks about Laws, recommends who to use for use mexico auto Insurance, etc.

Next the Point is a place called mary's. Order their platter for 4, and be sure to get extra garlic shrimp ; )

8. Re: Please give me the truth (as you see it)...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, November 24, 2010