We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IHOP Restaurant grand opening

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
IHOP Restaurant grand opening

IHOP restaurant is in the process of it's grand opening in Hermosillo. The chain has about 4-5 locations in Mexico City, one in Monterrey, and it's latest addition in Hermosillo.

Looks very nice from the outside and I can't wait to try it! It's located on Blvd. Morelos, next to the San Jose Hospital.

Don't know about the details, but there's a sign advertising a second IHOP location to be built on Reforma, near the CIMA hospital.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,392 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IHOP Restaurant grand opening

I'm not sure I can celebrate this. So very foreign to the traditional breakfast of tacos de cabeza at the taco stand near Gomez Faria and Kino (maybe on Ignacio Marical de Anza) in Pitic. The best breakfast I ever had in HMO was at a motel on Blvd. Luis Encinas near Barrio Olivas. They even had huevos benedictos. And pancakes. Soon it will be harder to distinguish HMO from Tucson and Phoenix. (Except that I really have never had a "true American" steak in HMO .... a lot of pretenders but never the real thing.)

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: IHOP Restaurant grand opening

I'm not sure that I am lamenting the progress that's happening in Hermosillo. I don't think I want the city to be stuck in the past. And yes, HMO is looking more and more like the U.S., but underneath the skin, it's still Mexican through and through.

Obviously I am writing in a travel forum from the point of view of a full-time resident. I understand that most who read this might be traveling to HMO and want the real "Mexican experience", whatever that is. However, I think it's ironic that many Mexicans desire their city to move ahead to the 21st century, while many outsiders want it to be locked in some nostalgic time.

IHOP and other places like it are catering to a new Mexico. Blvd. Morelos, for instance now has an abundance of American eateries, and based on the parking lots, they're all doing well. The main target is not the American tourist, but rather the middle and upper class Mexican family. By the way, these are the same folks who drive to Tucson to shop.

I enjoy traditional Sonoran cuisine as well as any gringo I know. And I probably eat more carne asada, tacos de pescado, and pozole than hamburgers and pancakes. But, I am glad to have a new, modern dining option on this side of the city. (And a 5 minute walk from my house, to boot!)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IHOP Restaurant grand opening

Bobbear,

As the saying foes, de gustibus non est disputandum. There is no arguing about tastes.

For me, I think HMO has at least one steak house where the ribeyes, at least, are far superior to anything I have ever had in the USA and a whole lot cheaper.

I get the best ribeyes I have ever had at El Lenador on Colosio, and next to my own homemade ones, I think their hamburgers are about the best.

jb

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: IHOP Restaurant grand opening

Sorry for the typo...as the saying GOES...

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IHOP Restaurant grand opening

Never had the ribeye at El Leñador, but I've had the ribeye tacos and they are very good!

Paradise Valley
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: IHOP Restaurant grand opening

Alan,

Thank you for mentioning the opening of our IHOP in Hermosillo. We are very proud to have brought the IHOP brand, quality service and great food to the city of Hermosillo and its residences. You are right, in that we wanted to bring the US version of IHOP to Hermosillo as we noticed Mexican visitors to the US just love to eat at IHOP. So why not bring it to Mexico to enjoy locally. We felt like it would be better if we built a newer version of the IHOP, more contemporary, warmer interior to Mexico to surpass the version of IHOP faciltities in the US.

I hope you and all of your readers try out our IHOP and send me feed back at kevinbradford@cox.net.

Once again thanks for noticing IHOP Hermosillo on Morelos Blvd across the street from City Center, Walmart.

7. Re: IHOP Restaurant grand opening

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, May 05, 2010