We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

At home in Hermosillo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
At home in Hermosillo

Just a quick message to say that we are back at home in Hermosillo after a few months away in the U.S. We'd be happy to answer questions about the city that we've grown to love since moving here in 2004.

There is much development going on in Hermosillo in regard to new businesses, shopping centers, hotels, and restaurants. A new overpass is under construction on the highway to the airport. Homes are being constructed at a feverish pace. It appears that the economy here is very good.

Hermosillo may not be a number one tourist destination, but it is fast becoming a modern, tourist-friendly city.

Best wishes,

Alan

Southern California
Level Contributor
32 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: At home in Hermosillo

Hi Alan,

I visit Hermosillo each year. Can you give me more information about the overpass you mention by the airport? Is the overpass a pedestrian overpass?

thank you

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: At home in Hermosillo

The construction is along Boulevard Encinas at the intersection with Solidaridad. (That's the intersection next to Soriana Encinas and the CocaCola bottling plant, and near the Hector Espino Stadium). It appears that east/west traffic along Encinas will pass over Solidaridad when the work is finished, while the north/south bound traffic along Solidaridad will be at the existing grade level.

Hope this helps.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: At home in Hermosillo

yeah Hermosillo is growing. Am going there just to visit few friends for few days. I don't know if it is friendly for tourists yet, I got harrassed by cops few time just because my plates on my car are from Arizona, they like to pull over tourst just to try to find something to extract a bribe. These cops don't get payed well so you will see that often.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,217 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: At home in Hermosillo

As far as cops scamming tourists and people with Arizona plates in Hermosillo, locals will tell you this doesn't happen. I have been going there frequently for over 4 years and never experienced such or heard such things from others. I have seen reports here in TA, blogs and other sources, but sorry the folks complaining were describing situations where they did not know local laws such as turning right on a red light or entering an intersection during a yellow light.

Most guides, and in fact TA information pages, will tell you that police in Mexico are generally corrupt except for the federal police. In my experience in Hermosillo I never saw this or heard of instances. I do see and hear frequent reports of such behavior in Puerto Penasco.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: At home in Hermosillo

I have to agree with Bob.

I have lived full-time in Mexico since late 2003. I have driven nearly 60,000 miles in Mexico and have seen much of the country. Not once have I been harassed by the police. In fact, I have been stopped three times. Twice I was speeding. In all three occasions, the officer shook hands with me, greeted me politely, and eventually asked me to slow down. I did not even get threatened with a ticket, much less pay a bribe.

I am sure that it happens, but not so much here in Hermosillo.

I also think that a lot of problems that Americans report here are due to poor communications skills (i.e. no Spanish) and arrogant attitudes. I spent about 6 months in full-time language study and consider myself more or less fluent in Spanish. I also respect and love the Mexican people and try my best to apply the "Golden Rule" in all situations.

Southern California
Level Contributor
32 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: At home in Hermosillo

ooooooooooooh, now I know what you are talking about! When I was there in December, Encinas, in front of Cocal Cola was under heavy construction. I kept forgetting to bypass that entire intersection getting stuck in traffic. Yes, it all comes back to remembrance now!

Regarding police...I only got harrassed by the police one time in Nayarit. Somehow (after much prayer might I add) they let me drive away, from their imaginary red light they said I ran.

Never been bothered in Hermosillo...probably one of the many reasons why I return each year.

Looking forward to seeing this overpass construction deal on my next trip.

Shreveport...
Level Contributor
72 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: At home in Hermosillo

Update:

Blvd. Encinas (east/westbound) remains closed due to the construction. Blvd. Solidaridad (north/southbound) has reopened for local traffic. (There are only a couple of lanes open and you have to zigzag a couple of times to get through.)

This new intersection/overpass will be unlike anything else in Hermosillo. There will be three levels--ground level for turns, second level will be Encinas E/W bound through traffic, and the third level will be Solidaridad N/S bound through traffic.

Based on my (non-professional)observations, it's stills MONTHS away from completion.

Phoenix
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: At home in Hermosillo

Alan, I just got back from Hermosillo, I have been there for 6 days. Getting from nogales to hermosillo was a bit hussle because they are doing new pavement on that highway. The road is in bad condition and plus the construction, it took longer time to get there. And you still had to pay the "cuota", this is little funny to me because if the highway is in state of being in very bad shape why charge people then? They should charge "cuota" when the highway is nice and done. Only in mexico. Sonora is economy booming state but the roads are in bad shape, to me thats a little odd, where does the money go. The road from hermosillo to guaymas is also very bumpy and bad, many holes, no rest stops, find a bush if you can do it there.

This time I got cops behind me many times but they did not pull me over, i can say that this time everything was cool when regarding cops. Streets in hermosillo are not marked at all, this is the capital of state, WTF! Where does the money go?

There are "topes" all over town that are not colored at all, they are hard to spot and some of them are realy tall, if you don't pay atention you can ruin your car easy.

An yes the blvd solideridad and luis encinas intersection is getting done and the whole area is one big mess. Avoid going near that place.

I caught a kid stealing valve stem caps from my car, I yelled at him and he put em back on. I they were just the regular plastic ones.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
Level Contributor
16,217 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: At home in Hermosillo

"Cuota" is toll, which you likely know. It helps Sonora pay for maintaining the highway. The primary use of the highway is for trucking which brings produce and products to the US from Ciudad Obregon, Guaymas and Hermosillo through Nogales to the US. It's been a toll highway as long as I've known it which is perhaps 20 years. The trucks tear up the road.

Hermosilllo
11 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: At home in Hermosillo

Hello,

I'm a new forum member looking to meet other community members in the Hermosillo area.

-Joel