We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

We are leavingg soon and with small children at home we need to be able to call fairly frequently. Does anyone know if cell phones work? We do have a calling card......Thanks

BSK
New Iberia
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

Cells phones do work. It is probably one of the cheapest ways to call home from there and much easier too. BSK

Milwaukee,WI
Level Contributor
387 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

Keep in mind you have to contaxct your corporate store to get your phone unlocked for international use, and they offer SIM cards, which is like a calling card for your cell p[hone which reduces the roaming charges.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,287 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

Cell phones do sometimes work--my Sprint does not work very well.

As for phones cards, very easy to purchase Ladatel (Telmex) cards and use at any of the Ladatel phones you will see almost anywhere you go.

michigan
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

Hi again,

thanks for the info. I found out my cell company does not have coverage in the Yucatan....I might rent one from another carrier. Thanks

Jerzee
Level Contributor
336 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

Depending on your service most DO NOT I have Nextel

Calling cards are quite cheap thats what i did......$10.00 for 30 mins to US..not bad..keep the cellphone home..or you can rent a satelite phone they work from your local carrier, your on vacation! put the cell phone away..relax & enjoy!

staten island New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

I have T-Mobile and without exception it worked perfect! A new cell tower has been erected near Xpu-Ha and depending on your carrier your phone has service up and down the Riv.

sask.canada
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

CINGULAR .. has a North America plan, covers Canada south to Mexico. No Long distance no Roaming!! Gotta love that.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,287 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Should we bother to bring a cell phone?

Having a Mexico plan and actually working are different. Sprint also has a plan but does not work in most of the area.