We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
R M
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

Will be flying out of cancun in a couple of weeks. Say the departure tax was £42 - will they take 2x£1 coins with notes or does it all have to be notes?

Thanks

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

How are you going to pay £42 in just notes?? It's a UK company so I guess they will take coins.

R M
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

Well thought it would have to be £45 in notes if they wouldn't take the coins and I know they don't give change :(

Canada
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

I think you will find the departure tax is 800peso's , anything else is based on what exchange that they may be giving at any particular time, why not just pay in peso's ?

R M
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

Just thinking about how much money to exchange. If I can keep the departure tax to English notes it works out better for me at the moment. But you are right pesos would be less hassle but just in case! I also know you can use English notes in the duty free at cancun airport too 😊

Wigan, United...
Level Contributor
3,774 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

I think that if you pay in sterling it may be £50

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
5,923 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

R M, I seriously doubt they will accept any British Crown 'coins' as part of the departure tax; paper bills yes, but actual coinage, generally the answer is 'NO'.

Same thing if you try to exchange pounds sterling at a local bank in Mexico or a 'Casa de Cambio'. They will accept your paper bills, but not your coinage. Just too much weight for the value, and therefore they do not accept coins from another country.

Se diviertan!

Level Contributor
4,160 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

Hi returned in early May, the tax is payable in Peso's, we were advised to keep & pay in Peso's.

Queretaro City...
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

The person collecting the money is working for a UK company so it seems reasonable to expect them to accept UK coins when they are charging £42 (since if they won't give change then they would surely just be charging £45??). I am sure a call to your travel company (Thomsons or Thomas Cook) would sort the matter out.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,499 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

Would it not be simpler to petition the airline or the government to have the departure fee paid completely when you purchase your airline ticket. Almost all other airlines going to Mexico do it that way.

Livingston, Scotland
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: If paying departure tax in pounds do they take coins?

Payable in sterling it's £50 or 900 (Thomas Cook) or (reportedly) under 800 (Thomson) pesos per person so it's better in pesos no matter which of the two you are flying with. You'll have to get English notes as they won't accept Scottish notes.