We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Doncaster, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

We are looking at travelling from the uk next April in tropical/ colonial, at the mo it is an extra £1300 for the palace which is loads £££!

If we stay in tropical/ colonial can we use the palace pool? Is it just their restaurants we can't use? Really like the idea of being able to use the whole resort so trying to weigh up the extra cost. Would club premium allow us to use the palace pool/ restaurants ?

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

PenelopeS08:

Of the resorts you are looking at, the Grand Palladium complex has the best kids activity program and offers unlimited, no reservation required a la carte dining. It would be our top recommendation if your budget won't permit you to experience the Barceló Palace.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

I have to say that my kids liked the Barcy club much more than the Palladium or Bahia's kids club. One of their favorites anywhere. If I were choosing on kid's clubs it would be the Barceló for sure.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
964 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

We have stayed at both the Barcelo and the Grand Palladium and I would recommend the Grand Palladium over the Barcelo, because it offers more bang for your dollar. The Barcelo has a class system going on and it depends on what resort you stay at, on what you can use, whereas if you stay at the Grand Palladium, you can use any of the facilities, pools, bars, buffets, a la cartes, etc. at any of their other resorts, with the exception of their all adult Royal Yucatan resort. The GP offers free WiFi in their lobbies and in their rooms, whereas at the Barcelo you must pay for it, even in their lobbies. Both the GP and Barcelo are on beautiful beaches and both have off shore snorkeling. There is a great saltwater pool at the GP that allows fish to come and go on their own, so if your kids have not snorkeled before, it would be a great place to introduce them to that activity. There are fresh water pools, including a kids pool and a new kids water play area at the GP. At the GP, there are 2 - 24 hour beach snack bars which are great places to get a snack, drink, freshly made cappuccino and a light lunch, if you prefer not to leave the beach area to go to the buffets at lunch time. There is a great abundance in natural wildlife at the GP that your kids may enjoy. There is plenty of shade with palm trees and palapa huts at the GP, both on the beach and at the pools and less fighting for lounge chairs too. The Grand Palladium also offers a dinner beach BBQ (weather permitting) at least once a week, that your kids may enjoy, but reservations are required. There is a no reservation (pager system) for their unlimited 8 or 9 a la carte restaurants and you don't have to book as soon as you get there to make your reservations for the week(s), to ensure you get a reservation in the a la carte of your choice, like you would at the Barcelo. It depends which Barcelo resort you stay, on how many and where you can dine (example of class system). Recently, the Barcelo has put in a small concrete swim with dolphin pool (prison) that will cost each person extra $$$, if they wanted to do this activity. It is there not for educational purposes, but for profit only. If you choose to do this activity during your stay, there are places you can book an excursion in the open ocean (dolphins natural habitat) that is not harmful to these highly intelligent and very family oriented mammals (they are mammals, just like humans), so I politely ask that you research and educate yourself on the harm this causes these wonderful animals, before you do this activity in any captive environment. If you want more information on the Grand Palladium resorts, you may want to check out these two websites (Palladium Addict & Unofficial Palladium).

I hope I have been of some help and no matter which resort you choose for your family vacation, I hope you have a wonderful experience.

Edited: 1:58 pm, March 31, 2014
Doncaster, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

Thank you so much for your help & advice.

Excelsior, MN
Level Contributor
137 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

We just got back this morning. Can't go wrong staying in Tropical or Colonial. If you want a quieter beach go to Beach/Caribe side. I did not see much people playing at the beach. If you like to snorkel or boogie board stay in Tropical or Colonial or Palace. The sail boats, kayaks...pier are at Colonial beach part. I snorkeled from Palace to the Beach. Snorkeling is better from the pier to Palace. For sure we will come back, but never in March or April, spring break wildness :-(

Florida
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

We have been to both Barcelo and Palladium. Definitely prefer the Barcelo. We found the food, drink and beach to all be better at Barcelo.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,004 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

We have stayed at both the Barcelo and Palladium and also much prefer the Barcelo - we stayed in the Colonial section. We really like a lot about the Palladium, including a number of things mentioned in previous responses, but just found the overall property too big. Our room at the Palladium was likely in the worst possible section (Riviera) for distance from everything, so that didn't help our experience - beautiful rooms though. The Barcelo is a large property as well but we really didn't find that it felt near as "big" as the Palladium. It was easy and relatively quick to get anywhere we needed to.

If I were to stay at the Palladium again, i would probably stay in the Colonial or White Sands sections, just to be more central.

18. Re: Barcelo tropical vs palace confused on facilities?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 09, 2015