We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
NJ
6 posts
Save Topic
Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

I am planning our family vacation (husband myself, and 5 year old daughter). My husband and I keep debating between Barcelo Palace & Iberostar Lindo. We were 99% sure we were going to book the Barcelo but then I keep reading how the Iberostar offers more family entertainment. We are going for 7 days and not planning to leave for excursions.

Can anyone comment on the activities offered at the Barcelo or perhaps their kids club?

We're pretty easy to please and our main concerns are good food, great pools / beach, and family activities. Thanks!!

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
736 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

I love the Barceló Palace, however this resort is very quiet at night. They have a Barcy kids club that seems to keep kids busy all day, but my kids are teens and they got bored fast. The Barceló has the most amazing beaches and the pools are insane. However, the nightly shows are standard fare and we didn't enjoy them. The resort grounds are very dark and quiet at night. Most nights we turned in early. If you are interested in snorkeling, swimming and relaxing this is a great resort. Their beach is rated as the best in the area. If you are looking for a lively time there are pool activities but again my kids got bored. I like to sunbathe so I was content. I haven't been to the other resort on your list. They are adding a club house and bowling alley soon. We were planning to return to the Barceló this July but the edition of the dolphin pool honestly upset us. I still think the resort is lovely though.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,708 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

Iberostar DEFINATELY has the better night life as well as kids club & activities!

PA
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
1,928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

Have you considered the Grand Palladium Complex? Nice beach, recently built kids pool, and nice kids club. They also have unlimited alacartes and nice buffets. It is large but if you stay in the Kantenah or Colonial it would be central to the areas you would use daily and really not any larger than the Barceló or the Iberostar.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

We've been to all, but my kids enjoyed the Barcy club at the Barceló more than any others. They loved it and found more scheduled activites actually took place. We liked the Palladium as well, but for the kids club, for sure the Barceló.

Denver
Level Contributor
512 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

The iberostar ocean is not as nice as Barcelo.

The Palladium pool is too deep for kids and me... I always bring a tube to motor around all of the pools.

The Palladium has a great snack area by the pool, the Iberostar del mar does also I don't think that the Barcelo has an area to take food out to the pool.

All complexes are large but can be small if you stay in your little section.

Iberostar is closer to airport so you get there faster.

Food good at all.

Didn't use kids clubs at any of them. We have gone to Mexico about 17 times starting when our youngest was 2. We always bring cards and pool/beach toys. I think the kids clubs are good at all if your daughter wants to play with kids.

Iberostar del mar has a great ice cream area by pool.

The Palladium has afternoon tea right by the pool which is a nice option. I don't remember what the Barcelo had but we always had plenty to eat but not snacks that you could have by the pool so bring a box of cereal from breakfast or a baggie for some snacks in case she is nearing a meltdown.

We return to Barcelo this month and were at Palladium last year.

Iberostar has the fun crepe place and ice cream in the convention center area.

I don't think you could go wrong either way. If you are truly beach/ocean people I would go to Barcelo. You can go snorkeling right off the beach and the beach area at the south end of the complex is great for little ones. If your preference is the pool I think I would choose Iberostar.

Sorry I rambled... I love them all!!!!

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

The beach snack areas are far superior at the Barceló to either IMO. Their food is great, but you can not take it to the pool No big deal though as they are right there.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

We (myself, husband and 10 year old son) were at the Barcelo Maya Tropical from Feb 27-Mar 9 and we loved it! My son had a lot of fun, although he was a bit old for most of the activities at the kids club and for the waterpark, however, in my opinion they are perfect for a 5-7 year old year old. He really loved the snorkeling and had fun at the plaza at night for a pinata party. My only issue was that my son was very intrigued by the dolphin enclosure, however, my husband and I are against that activity so we had to avoid that. I've also heard good things about the Iberostar Paraiso, however, two friends have been to both and preferred the Barcelo. Other resorts we've heard that are good for families are the Dreams and Palladium.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

I totally disagree with the Barceló having the better beach. I've been to both. The beaches are completely comparable with the 2 differences being Barceló has onsite snorkeling which I cant imagine a 5 year old would want to do much of anyway. The Iberostar has no snorkeling onsite. The other is the shade availability. At Barceló you have to rely on palm trees for shade and Iberostar they have palapas everywhere for guaranteed shade.

Another difference is that you can see the ocean from the pools at Barceló. At Iberostar there is a large area of jungle between the pools and beach so at the pool you have no ocean view or breeze.

They are both very comparable resorts and I don't think you will be making a mistake picking one over the other.

NJ
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

Thanks for all the suggestions! We just booked the Barcelo and are really excited!!!

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
478 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids Activities / Family Entertainment @ Barcelo Palace

We have been dedicated IBL fans for years (10+ x there), but wanted to try something different. We just returned from the BP 2 weeks ago. You will be very pleased. It is quite a bit farther from the airport than the IB so I would highly recommend a private shuttle.