We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bahia Principe Ambar (PC) or El Dorado Seaside Suite (Mayan)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bahia Principe Ambar (PC) or El Dorado Seaside Suite (Mayan)

I realize this is a very specific question buy I'm always impressed by what TA people share.

I think we've narrowed it down to these two choices (1 in Punta Cana - Bahia Prinicipe Ambar and 1 in the Mayan- El Dorado Seaside Suites), flying out of Montreal on March Break. We are prioritizing an AO because it will be Spring Break and don't want to be over run with kids.

That being said we would love to hear the pros and cons of each choice. We've never been anywhere in the Dominican and our last stay in Mexico was Gran Bahia Principe Coba. The Coba was good because we were with our own kids and there was lots of activity but we probably want somewhere medium sized (lots to do but not Disney either :-). We also love to snorkel and the most memorable part of Mexico for us was going to Akumal Beach. We didn't really enjoy snorkelling off the beach at the Coba.

Any one out there who could weigh in on the better choice - Bahia Principe Ambar and El Dorado Seaside Suites? (both are about the same price)

Thanks!

Paradise Catamarans
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Dressel Divers
Scuba & Snorkeling
H2OH Sun Cruises - Day Tours
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Water Sports, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar (PC) or El Dorado Seaside Suite (Mayan)

Hi there - I've been to the Ambar (twice) and to the El Dorado Royale (not the Seaside). I can tell you that we loved both resorts - but definitely the beach at the Ambar is better. I'm not sure what the beach at EDSS is like - I know EDR's is not that great. One negative about the Ambar (for some people - not for us) is that the Ambar is a section within a huge complex and although there are no kids in the Ambar section, there will be kids close by at the beach and at some of the restaurants (there are I believe three a la carte's in the Ambar and a couple of buffet restaurants). Another issue with the Ambar is that some people (again, we didn't find it a problem) don't like having to make dinner reservations and some people also found the beach crowded. You won't be able to snorkel at the Ambar.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,799 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar (PC) or El Dorado Seaside Suite (Mayan)

Here's a copy of what I posted to this same inquiry in the Punta Cana forum:

EDSS in the Riveria Maya is far, far superior to the Gran Bahia Ambar and if they are the same price, it's a no-brainer! While March will have great weather at either destination, there will be less Spring Breakers at EDSS than at the Gran Bahia complex. And lots more snorkeling opportunities at EDSS versus the Ambar.

3. Re: Bahia Principe Ambar (PC) or El Dorado Seaside Suite (Mayan)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 05, 2015