We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

Does anyone know which is better place to stay with 7 year old. we are looking into Grand Palladium or Barcelos or Iberostars . which sections of these resorts should we consider?.

WE are looking for a place with lot of entertainment for my son and good food.

Thank you!

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,385 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

The Grand Palladium has the regions absolute best kids program and offers a variety of accomodations to fit virtually every budget. Their Colonial and Kantenah sections are very popular with families due to the close proximity to the main amenities & facilities within the complex.

Member 'Olga62' presented an excellent & accurate overview in response to one of your earlier forums posts here.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,631 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

I'd say take Barcelo out of the equation. I think the food is slightly better and has more variety at the Iberostar as opposed to the Palladium. The Iberostar is also amazing for children. The wildlife/animals/large birds at the Iberostar property are unsurpassed by any other property that I have been to and I think the gardens at the Iberostar are the best, If you like nature go for the Iberostar...kids usually love seeing animals! I found the Iberostar more lively than the Palladium...i.e. clowns walking around making balloons for kids...and the star friends are always doing something fun at the Iberostar. It is a matter of opinion though....some of us just end of having a loyalty to one resort that is like "home base". Read the tripadvisor reviews for the Iberostar and Palladium and make a decision based on "your" frame of reference. I don't think you can go wrong at either of these properties!!! The Palladium does have a "train" like shuttle between the lobbies...the little one might like that.

Richmond, BC
Level Contributor
5,376 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

There is a dolphin prison pool now built at the Barcelo, so you might need to think about it - if you want to have your son to be exposed to this type of activity. I would be having a hard time to remain happy if the resort I was staying at was having this type of attraction and I had to explain it to my young kid why I would not want him to participate in this cruel activity. People would say that 7 years old is old enough to understand the realities of the animal abuse but honestly my own son would start crying if I explain that and he sees them again and again, I just would not want to have to deal with it on the vacation. I do not support the practice like that with my money, so Barcelo and Bahia are now off my list.

Between Iberostar and Palladium, GP would be my choice as the variety of the activities are endless and they now have a new water park for the kids with the big slides, free rides on the boat along the inside channels and two rooms units called suites that are inexpensive to upgrade to from the reg. room but they are two rooms units with a door in between them! (avail. at the White Sands in Riviera). Also no limits/no reservation for the alacartes.

Edited: 12:38 pm, December 30, 2013
Canada
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

We have been to Barceló and Grand Palladium but not Iberostar. For us, Iberostar seems to be more expensive and from photos I see of the beach, there is not much shade. The beaches at Barceló and Grand Palladium are beautiful with lots of palm trees. When I see photos of Iberostar, the loungers are jammed in so close together and just a few palapas to fight over for shade. I have heard that service and food is very good at Iberostar resorts but if the beach is important, I'd prefer Barceló or Grand Palladium. (having said that Barceló has the dolphin prison, so for us, we'd take the Grand Palladium.)

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

There is actually quite a bit of shade at the Iberostar Paraiso Maya resorts as there are palapas all over that beach for shade. At Barceló, you have to keep moving to keep under the shade because the only shade on the beach at Barcelo is palm trees.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

I agree with everything Olga62 says in her post above. My pick would be the Grand Palladium.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
10,387 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

Palladium is outstanding for kids. They have a brand new awesome water park, a great kids program including lots of activities with the animated characters Raggs. They also have many animal in a jungle setting, snorkeling off the beach, family accommodations and unlimited ala cartes. Guests at all four resorts, ie Colonial, Kantenah, White Sand, Riviera can use all amenitities except the adult only Royal area.

Immaculate hotel and IMHO a great value.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

We liked the Iberostar Paraiso Maya much better than the Grand Palladium. I think the vibe of the resort varies by who the other guests are when you are visiting. My children loved the Iberostar Kids club but were bored silly at the Grand Palladium. Plenty of shade at both and I liked that you didn't have to walk through the mangrove at the Palladium to get to the beach, but the pool at the Palladium was way too deep to stand comfortably and I am 5'4". I thought food, service, entertainment and activities were all significantly better at the Iberostar Maya. Still had a good time at the Palladium, and it was much less expensive.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
718 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

Can only vouch for Barcelo. Immaculate resort. Barcys kid club. Kiddy spa. Activities. Best beach I have ever been on. Clear calm gorgeous. Plenty shade palms.

10. Re: Grand Palladiums vs Iberostar vs Barcelos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 07, 2015