We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
26 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

My wife and I have booked flights for Nov 2nd and have yet to book the resort. We are looking for A.I. and nice one at that. Biggest thing though is we love to snorkel. I would like to be able to do it right from the resort. So what suggestions do you all have? So Far we are picking EDSS and Aventira Spa Palace (or Hard Rock, or whatever it is called) and the Grand Sirenis.

Any info and tips would be very appreciated, Thank you!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

Really good, on site snorkelling, is not particularly easy to find.

The Grand Sirenis is not even close to being in the same league as EDSS or ASP. If the latter are the quality of resort you're looking for, I think GS may be quite a disappointment.

The on-site snorkelling at the Barcelo Maya is very good. This is a huge, multi resort complex consisting of five resorts in one. There's a bit of a class system here in that the "cheaper" resorts only give you access to part of the complex; higher up the chain you go, the more access you have. The top dog is the Barcelo Palace. Two things about this resort though - I'm not positive but think I saw something about them doing renos to part of the resort. I have no idea what sort of renos, the scheduling or what effect it will have on the resort complex as a whole. The second thing is that there's a strong rumour that they are building a dolphin enclosure. I know some people (myself included) are very much against this sort of activity and make a deliberate effort to boycott resorts who have this as part of their business model. I'm absolutely NOT trying to foist my opinions on you in any way but wanted to put the info out there so you can make your own, informed, decision.

If the Barcelo doesn't suit, check out the Grand Palladium - another multi resort complex.

Edited: 4:01 am, August 26, 2013
Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

The area's best off-resort snorkel opportunities are off the Barcelo Palace beach. All guests of this huge complex regardless of resort section, are able to use that area of the beach.

Wayne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

I have been to Grand Sirenis about 3 years ago. The Cove is really nice to snorkel in. The beach is not powder sand and many feel they need water shoes, but we had no problem. Before the resort was built they had excursions to this cove for snorkeling.

A friend has been to CAT in Puerto Aventuras and said the snorkeling is great and loved the resort. I'm going there myself the end of Oct.

Ontario
Level Contributor
355 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

I've been to ASP. Don't waste your money to go there if you want to snorlke. The Grand Sienis is an awesome spot for that.

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
436 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

Dreams Puerto Aventuras, Catalonia Riviera Maya or Akumal Beach Resort.

Stowe, Vermont
Level Contributor
7,105 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

Barcelo Palace. And there are the sea turtles there, too.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

Having to combine quality snorkeling with quality hotel is hard.

I went to Grand Sirenis twice and the snorkeling quality was poor due to some storms that brought a lot of sand in area, also hotel quality sucks (went way down over the years). My advice is that you book EDSS as a romantic adults only hotel for you and your wife. Get your own snorkeling equipment with you, and you can snorkel all the way south to Grand Palladium. Better advice yet, go toward the EDSS resort exit, cross the highway, take the colectivo south to Akumal Bay for 8 minutes, pay 30 pessos (or $3 per person), walk for 5 minutes toward the bay, put your gear on and snorkel all you like, just make sure you take your camera to take plenty of pictures of the turtles and fish in the bay. I recommend that you are there in the morning by 8:00-8:30, to really enjoy a quiet 1-2 hours of snorkeling. Coming back, do all in reverse, or you can negotiate a taxi back for $10 (keep to your price and someone will finally agree). You will be back to the hotel by 10-11 AM, ready for a drink, and great lunch. I doubt that you will snorkel for more than 3-4 days, so for up to $50 and 20 minutes of travel each way, you will be able to achieve both your requirements.

BTW, if you worry about your belongings, you can rent a locker for few $. I usually took with me pesos, which are plastic and my pants had an inside pocket with a zipper.

Don’t get scared when you see the barracuda at Akumal Bay. Was harmless.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,513 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

We found the Grand Palladium had good snorkeling just past the ropes on the Kantenah beach side. Best in the morning when there isn't a lot of other water activity going on. It is only a few minutes ride down to Akumal bay, as stated above, so easy to eat breakfast, hop on the colectivo, snorkel a couple hours and be back for lunch at GP.

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
12 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

I went to the Barcelo Colonial and snorkled right off the beach it was fantastic. Some friends who were with us went out further and saw turtles.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
963 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nov trip, looking for the best Resort for snorkeling

Another vote for the Barcelo Maya or the Grand Palladium. Both are good resorts with great beaches and good off shore snorkeling. We prefer the GP over the Barcelo, because you get more for your dollar and because there is less of a class system going on as there as there is at the Barcelo. There is free WiFi in the lobbies at the GP, but at the Barcelo you must pay for it, even in the lobbies. At the GP there are unlimited a la cartes with no reservation policy. They use a pager system. At the Barcelo, it depends on what resort you stay at, at where you can dine or how many a la cartes you get and you must make reservations for them. At the GP you can use all their other resorts amenities, including restaurants, pools, bars, etc., no matter which resort you stay at, with the exception of their all adult Royal resort. There are more limits on what you can use of their other resorts at the Barcelo. GP has a saltwater pool, where the fish are free to come and go as they please, along with lots of fresh water pools, both adult and family. More places to find shade on the beach at the GP too, because of palapa huts along with palm trees. Also, the GP has two 24 hour beach bars to get snacks, drinks or beach lunch, instead of going to the buffet, if you want. At the Barcelo they have kids water parks and splash pad, so more families with young kids go to the Barcelo. Akumal is nearby both the Barcelo and the GP. If you care to do some more research on the Grand Palladium resorts, you should check out the Palladium Addict website. Hope I have been of some help. Have a great vacation.