We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego, CA
10 posts
Save Topic
Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

We've read many reviews about the Xpu Ha Palace and are very excited to be going. We'll be there for one week so we're trying to plan an agenda berfore we get there. We're in our mid-30's and leaving the kids at home so we can make the best of our time. Anyone have any suggestions?

San Diego, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

Hello?

plymouth
Level Contributor
8 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

Hi there

What are you wishing to plan in advance ?? A trip to Chichen Itza or Tulum possibly, a swim with the Dolphins at Puerto Adventuras ? or maybe a catamaran sail and a bit of a snorkel. to be honest all are so easily accessible when you get to Xpu Ha that I wouldnt be worried too much about planning too much before hand. The experience of Xpu Ha itself might just stun you enough for the first couple of days that your plans may go out the window.

Whatever you do lay back, relax and enjoy afterall its your holiday !!

Take care

San Diego, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

Thanks Mirpen for the advise. I hear what your saying, but we just want to be as prepared as possible, so we don't miss anything and regret it after the fact.

How long ago was it that you were there?

The types of things we are looking to do are:

Nightlife (dancing)

Snokeling (where are the best places?)

Ruins

Fishing (deep sea, possible)

Cosumel

Shopping

Spa Experience

Golfing

Adventure Tour

On-site activities at Xpu Ha

and what ever else you may recomment that we are not thinking of.

We don't expect to do everything, but we kinda want to hear others experiences so we can figure out our top 5 or so things to do while we are there. We also want time to just relax and enjoy the beach, pools, sun, and DRINKS!

staten island New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

you will love Xpu-ha without exception! My family and I returned and we already booked a trip for April, that's how much we loved it.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
190 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

Been to the Xpu-Ha Palace twice and found it very different from any other resort in the Cancun/Riviera Maya area. In answer to your questions on activities, first of all you know you get to choose from 6 different excursions from Palace resorts when you stay (do to website - www.palaceresorts.com and look under activities, I believe).

Nightlife - no dancing at Xpu-Ha, but close by at the Adventura Spa there's a disco that's crowded with adults (you can use the Adventura anytime, have dinner there at their seaside steak house, it's romantic on the balcony with candles, good food).

Snorkeling - the snorkeling isn't that good at Xpu-Ha. I like Xel-Ha for the day or Akumel with snorkeling right off the beach.

Ruins - your free excursions include Tulum or Chichen Itza. If you're REALLY interested in ruins, I'd suggest Chichen; but it's a full day tour. Tulum is closer by, has nice setting & beach.

Fishing - Go to Puerto Adventuras, it has large marina area with deep sea charters. Bone fishing is much further south by Siam biosphere.

Cozumel - once again, a full day tour. Depends on what you're looking to do while there. Not included in Palace excusions.

Shopping - go to Playa del Carmen on Fifth Avenue. Don't go there in the middle of the week, as cruise ship passengers will be there too. The closer you are to the ferry dock, the more bartering you'll get in the shops on 5th Avenue; the further north you walk on 5th Avenue, the pricier and unique shops are. You can also shop at Palace resorts shops, but prices are much higher. Puerto Adventuras has some shopping, prices are higher than Playa del, but is closer by.

Spa - don't miss utilizing the Adventura Spa Palace, their spa is amazing (I got a full tour that took 2 hours). Can be pricey though.

Golfing - golf through the Palace resorts, check out their website again. Playacar golf course is good, not too far away.

Adventure Tour - what kind of adventure, there's jungle tours and cavern tours, you'll see brochures at resort. Cavern ones have river you can snorkel, swim in. The jungle/cavern can be combined.

On-site Activities -first of all, request a 2nd floor room and relax on your large deck with a hammock or in your double jacuzzi in your room. There's tour by guides of the Xpu-Ha park, go down river in kayak, party on beach with activities planned by resort during day, walk around the resort or bicycle and look for wildlife. Have lunch by the snorkeling area, the grilled food and service is excellent.

Spend alot of time relaxing, I found the Xpu-Ha had more top-shelf liquor than the Adventura Palace, where I was actually staying once. The pools are better at the Adventura (more diversity to pick from), but Adventura doesn't have a natural beach (the Barcelo resort just north of the Xpu-Ha has the best beach of all resorts I've seen in that area). Enjoy!

San Diego, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

Another question: What about a car rental, would anyone recommend getting one or is the public transportation good enough to get around?

staten island New...
Level Contributor
58 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

I would not rent a car as the insurance can be a real issue and pricey! I prefer the Collectivo vans that run up and down the 307 from Tulum to Cancun. They can get crowed but it's cheap and a cool way to mix and mingle with the locals.

San Diego, CA
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

Sargodd - Thanks for the info! Hope you have another great time when you go in April. I'm sure we'll keep reading the reviews up until our vacation.

England UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

There are lots of activities at Xpu Ha such as snorkelling, kayaking, lying by the pool or on the beach. There is an entertainment programme at the beach which includes stretch exercises, football competitions, bingo, volley ball etc. not my thing really but good for the kids.

We hired a car from the hotel for 3 days as they had a buy 2 days and get one day free deal. We hired a Jeep as we wanted to drive to Punta Allen (down the coast road from Tulum) and the road is really rough. It was fun but took 2.5 hours each way and Punta Allen is a real end of the road place but we loved it (except we got attacked by mosquitos also). We also spent the second day travelling around in general and the third day driving to Chitzen Itza and back which I would not recommend in a Jeep as it was hot, noisey and tiring. The car hire price at the hotel is not the cheapest you could find if you trecked around Playa del Carmen and the further you get from 5th Avenue the cheaper it gets but the hotel package was complete and included all insurance. The car hire guy (Sergio) is not a bundle of laughs and they check the car before and after very thoroughly - luckily we did not have any scratches. the car was in perfect condition when we took it and filthy when we returned it but they did not worry about that. The main highway 180 is quite an interesting driving experience - definitely worth getting out on a collectivo bus before you take the car so you can see what you are up against. I definitly wouldn't drive at night. The other roads are just plain straight tracks through the jungle and no chance of taking the wrong turn off as there arn't any. But also not many roadsigns so make sure you know where you are going. Oh and watch out for speed bumps (topes) they put them on the roads as you enter a village and they are really lethal.

Go on give it a try, it is good to get out and see the real Yucatan.

orange
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Xpu Ha First Timers during the first week of May

Not too sure if my last post posted. But, we will be getting married at the xpu ha on may 5th. We have stayed in PDC a couple times and loved every minute of it. Maybe we could communicate and try to meet. We are in our 30s and no kids. Not too interested in partying, just like to relax. But, the weddings are supposed to be beautiful. Maybe you could sit in just to watch or something. hope to hear from you

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras