We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coba.. here are our possible plans

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
985 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Coba.. here are our possible plans

We will be staying at Barcelo Maya Palace next week. We are considering taking some time to go out to Coba. I think we can easily get to Tulum via collectivo. Our next choices are to take the bus to Coba. The only problem is I can't seem to find ANY schedules for the ADO or Orient. The ADO schedule was in Spanish and I couldn't figure out the one to COBA.

Maybe we should just take a cab from Tulum to Coba or maybe the bus there and a cab back?

Rental car - Can we rent one at Barcelo for the day?

Would be fun to hit some Cenotes too.

We want to arrive as soon as is possible (rope drop if you will if you have ever been to Disney!)

We don't want to take a tour as it is outrageously expensive for our family of 5.

Any advice is appreciated.

Centennial
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

We went by rental car. We paid only $50 for 9 days! We were planning to go to Grand Cenote after Coba, but we let the parking lot attendant hijack our plans and we went to a set of 3 cave cenotes right next door to Coba. They were fun cenotes, although I still wonder how Grand Cenote would have compared.

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,261 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

here is a DIY thread on going to Coba

tripadvisor.com/…30571855

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

How did you arrange a rental car at that price? We would need to rent from Barcelo Maya Palace. I appreciate the link. I was just trying to find a secondary bus schedule. I haven't been able to find that. Also, I was looking for more current bus schedules on secondary bus lines. We plan to leave by 11:30 or so. I want this to be fun for the kids without a lot of uncertainty in the heat.

Edited: 11:43 am, July 12, 2013
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

Dollars to donuts that car rental price ($50 for 9 days) did not include all the insurance that experienced renters recommend you buy. Clearly, it worked out ok for Travelinmom but it's definitely not something I'd recommend (not buying the insurance that is, renting a car is perfeclty fine so long as you apprise yourself of all the potential scams and how to avoid them).

Sorry OP, i can't help with the bus schedule thing but an alternative might be to rent a vehicle and driver for the day. I know that USA Transfers can help with this and I'm pretty sure that Yucatreks Tours and Edventure Tours will both customize a day of ruins, cenotes and whatever else you want to do. (I'm sure there are plenty of other companies that could do this but I have personal experience with USA and Yucatreks and highly recommend them both. I've never used Edventures but have read lots about them on these forums and they appear to be very highly regarded.)

Of course, this won't be as cheap as taking the bus but will give you a tailor made tour that runs on YOUR schedule.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

Perhaps a driver for the day might be a good choice. We just don't want to pay like $100 each for the day since there are 5 of us. We want the flexibility to plan the day. Could we potentially hire a driver for the day for say $150?

Also, has anyone rented a car at Barcelo? We would purchase all the insurance available, take photos, little cash in our travel wallet etc. Anyone know the cost or or if you need to book ahead of time for the car at Barcelo? Thanks!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,103 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

Ticketbus.com.mx

For schedule and prices

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,339 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

I would think that trying to find a collectivo that would have room for all 5 of you may be difficult/time consuming. A driver may pull over and try to squeeze you in when in reality there is not that much room...so you pass and then that driver has wasted his time and the time of the other passengers...then you wait for another....

I agree with Llisa's recommendation about renting a vehicle and driver for the day (and you get the added bonus to not having to deal with any potential scams when renting a car).

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
985 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

OK. I like the driver for a day. That would be great. What is a reasonable price for that? Thinking Coba and then maybe Cenotes later. Maybe the monkey sanctuary. Any ballpark figures? Thanks everyone!

Edited: 6:14 pm, July 12, 2013
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,276 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

Here's a link to USA's private tours and prices are listed, so that should give you a ballpark of what to expect in that regard. If they don't already offer an itinerary that suits you, I know they will be happy to tailor a day to you specifically but, of course, you'll need to contact them with respect to pricing.

http://www.entertainment-plus.net/tours/

Here are links to Yucatreks and Edventure:

http://www.yucatreks.com/index.htm

http://www.edventuretours.com.mx/

I seriously doubt that you'll be able to get any of the foregoing for $150/day all in.

Another (cheaper) option might be to hire a taxi driver for the day. You might want to post another thread asking if anyone can provide you with a personal referral. If you don't speak Spanish well, you might want to ask for referrals to a good, English speaking driver.

Remember though, a taxi driver isn't the same as a tour guide - you can expect to have to pay any and all entrance fees yourself for a start (whereas with a tour, those costs are usually included). If you go the taxi driver route, it would be appropriate for you to buy him lunch and refreshments in addition to whatever fee you agree upon. Whilst that likely won't be a significant cost, it's something to bear in mind when doing a price comparison.

Centennial
Level Contributor
1,148 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coba.. here are our possible plans

Right. I rented from Advantage via Pricelne and I didn't purchase insurance. I am comfortable with credit card insurance coverage, but most TA'ers aren't.