We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

Hi - I am returning to the Catalonia for the second time on July 26th for 2 weeks. There are 6 of us in total - 3 teenagers and 3 adults. I am so excited - having been there before and knowing what to expect. So who else will be there at that time ?

Neenah, WI
14 posts
Save Reply
81. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

we are going to the cat the last week in January 2007! Wow thats far away!

England
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
82. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

FlipFlops24/7, great name, we are all packed and off on Tuesday

Lizzie

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

Lizzie,

You're going to have a great time! Wish we could have been there at the same time--it's been fun sharing the forum with you. We stayed on the Yucatan side and met many wonderful Europeans. I miss them already.

England
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
84. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

socalgals

Thanks for that, it was quiet whilst you were away. Did you meet anyone from TA that you had spoken to?

I have been looking with interest each day for a particular trip review based on the comments made before you went away, but have seen nothing yet so am not able to make up my own mind as to the comments.

Chihuahua will still be at the Cat when we get there, and she said to say Hi to her if I see her by the pool.

I have all our bags packed, tropical storm Chris seems to have gone (FEW am I glad about that) and all that’s left to do is cancel the milk man for the next two weeks

Glad you had a great time I will let you know how we got on when I return

Lizzie

mpls, mn
Level Contributor
356 posts
Save Reply
85. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

Lizzie,

I can guess which review you are refering to, but why bother, It can only be more of the same old vindictiveness. I'm completely bored by it. You go and have a sensational holiday, that way YOU WIN!

Jimmy

England
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
86. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

Thanks Jimmy

I will have a great time, I am known to be a glass half-full kind of person, life is too short not to have fun :-)

I think I have even packed the kitchen sink!!!!

I have now got four suitcases (someone made the mistake of telling me I had 30kg per person) big mistake!!! So I have just got to take all those ‘just in case’ things haven’t I

After weeks of longing and waiting, our first trip to Mexico has arrived. For those of you who love Mexico so much can you recall what you liked best about it? It seems to me that Mexico and The Cat must have something special about it for so many of you to return time after time. I am so excited even my husband who pretends to be very reserved seems excited today.

Lizzie

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

Lizzie,

We ran into NanM and Irish Lady while we were there. I ended up on the Yucatan side so we didn't hook up as much as I would've liked, but those two ended up in rooms right next to each other--go figure! They have teenagers the same age, so that worked out really well. It was fun running into them--I felt like I knew them already from all the posts.

As far as why I love Mexico--the people are amazingly friendly and welcoming. You feel like a guest in their home instead of just a tourist in their country. The Riviera Maya isn't too touristy yet, so you get a feel for the culture and how the country really is, warts and all.

As for the Cat, I liked it for the same reasons I like Mexico--it was nice, pleasant, and unassuming, and I felt very comfortable just hanging out. The snorkeling was amazing and I loved the fact that everyone could be themselves, especially the grandma in the leopard bikini! Gotta love that! I loved listening to the different languasges on the Yucatan side--it felt very cosmopolitan. I met a professor from Portugal who spoke 4 languages, and we ended up talking in Spanish since he knew more Spanish than English and I speak a little Spanish. If he's still there, please tell him Bom Dia for me! (portugese for good morning)

A couple of tips: Even if you don't stay on the Yucatan side, the buffet is airconditioned there and never busy. We would sit there eating breakfast, looking out to the other buffet, which was hot and crowded and couldn't ever figure it out. My guess most people just go to what's closest, but we were in the next building over. Also, I did get sick from eating lettuce, which has always been a problem for me in Mexico, wherever I've gone. No one else got sick, though, but if your stomach is sensitive at all, I'd stick with cooked vegetables as much as possible. I'd get a craving for a salad and then regret it the next day. but oh well.

Oh, one other tip. If you go to Playa del Carmen, the hotel has a free shuttle that goes at 9:00 in the morning and returns at 5:00 in the evening. That was too long a day for us, so we took a taxi in the afternoon and caught the 5:00 bus back. What we didn't realize is that most taxis will drop you off near the main part of Playa, on 5th avenue. The bus in on Constituye, past 14th avenue, which is quite a walk if you're not ready for it. If you take a taxi, ask to be dropped off on Constituye and then look in shops there, which are cheaper anyway. We almost missed the bus, which takes off immediately at 5:00! The woman at guest services can give you a map--we just didn't pay attention to it until it was time to go.

Have a wonderful time, I mean it. Can't wait to hear how your trip goes!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
363 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

One other reason I loved the Cat--they have a library of books you can take or trade. Most of the books are murder mysteries or romance novels, but I found some good stuff (British books, actually--I now find myself watching the Telly and lifting up the bonnet on my car!). So if you finish your book on the plane or sooner than you think because you just can't get up from that palapa on the beach, just head over to the hut by the grill and check out what they have.

England
Level Contributor
311 posts
1 review
Save Reply
89. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

Socalgals3

Thank you for all your tips

Oops I really must go to bed getting up at 4 am. Thanks to everyone for being so kind over the past few months, I feel I have almost been to Mexico already and made some new friends on TA

Sorry I haven’t had time to write more tonight

Lizzie and Family

90. Re: Who is going to the Catalonia Riviera Maya?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 pm, August 15, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Aventuras