We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Aventuras hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
64 posts
287 reviews
Save Topic
Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

I stopped by to check out the boats and talk to the staff. I couldn't believe my eyes they were finning a shark. Activity that is banned in so many civilized countries. Most fisherman and divers know the value of leaving the sharks intact particularly when all they want to use is the fin. Shame on Captain Rick's! I talked to the staff and yes they speak English and they told me this is no big deal.

Needless to say I decided not to book a charter and you shouldn't either.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
64 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

Since posting this review of Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing I have received several emails from someone at Capt. Rick's Sportfishing shop. In fairness I want to share what they said.

1. Yes, they did kill the shark

2. Yes, they did remove the fins

3. They claim all the meat was donated to the people in the community. I pointed out the community was made up of wealthy Americans and Canadians but they disagree.

4. They said that if I emailed the picture of the bloody shark after they cut the fins off and discarded it on the dock to anyone they would sue me.

In fairness to the shop I reviewed all their material and it is clear that they don't think that killing sharks is a problem. This despite the fact that they don't have a license for fishing shark and what they are doing is illegal.

A resent article in a major US publication put the value of each shark in the Riviera Maya at over $225,000 to the community. Based on the emails from Capt. Rick's Sportfishing they don't care about this just the value to their own pockets.

I respectfully suggest that other travelers not use this shop.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

hmmm... maybe it was ill, or caught by accident and died trying to get the hook out to free it? Not saying you're lieing, but I think people would need to see some evidence before some mass boycott of a business wouldn't you agree? :o)

Houston, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

Its charter fishing, you catch sharks - it happens. My hats off to Capt Ricks for actually "using" the shark, most of the time sharks die when removing the hook and then they are usually just discarded it, fins or not. Not all cases are sharks killed when caught - but this one was, and it was used to the fullest extent because of Capt Rick going the extra mile.

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
64 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

Well Cavemandave it is true I have heard of sharks that were ill committing suicide by getting hooked by a fishing boat. But the pictures I took show a bloody shark with its fins removed and the carcus sitting out in the sun. Others have also photographed them catching sharks. What proof are you looking for....

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
64 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

Trey: It sounds like you know the circumstances surrounding this particular shark. I'm curious how can you say it is going "the extra mile" when he finned it and sold the meat. Sounds like he made a little profit for himself and no one else.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
110 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

Well, photo's might provide a good case to boycott these operators??! I suggest maybe setting up a blog and posting photos for your cause, which if true based on just finning, is a good one :o)

Plus, it's not really a case of committing suicide by getting hooked... fishermen or sports fishing tourists throw their lines in to hook a fish. If it happens to be a shark what are they to do? A fish in the ocean is a fish... Should they treat it different to a tuna? They can't predict what they catch can they, really? If it's hooked, most likely it's gonna die. If it's for food and feed a family from flesh (not talking fins here), then fair play.. but just for sport, i can't agree with that, or finning for a bowl of soup. Dave

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
356 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

If a shark is caught and killed shouldn't all of it.... Fins included be used? I am not condoning killing sharks but if you do wouldn't the ethical thing be using ALL the shark?

Bloomington...
Level Contributor
854 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

No comment, but I'm just fascinated by the OP's colorful posting history. Trouble just seems to find you.

St. Thomas
Level Contributor
356 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

My experience is trouble finds exactly those looking for it

Playa del Carmen...
Level Contributor
64 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shame on Capt. Rick's Sportfishing Center

Geek couple & Spartlygrad96. The purpose of the forums to to discuss and comment on travel related businesses not make snide remarks about other users. I didn't agree with Caxeman or Trey but they at least had an informed option on the topic.

I too can make an observation. There are those that travel the world and those that read about others traveling. Based on your travel maps it is not hard to see which you fit in.